Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Scrolling through large folders hangs up & is jerky

Scrolling through large folders hangs up & is jerky

SlowScrolling

In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.

My system is a powerful Dell Dimension 8400, XP Pro, 3.4 GHz, 2 GB
RAM, with fast Western Digital hard drives, and never had even a hint
of this problem until a few days ago. However, the number of files in
my various folders has not increased significantly, and they were
scrolling fine a week ago; now they are not. During this time, I've
installed some new programs, including Nero 7 Ultra, Adobe Audition
2.0, some a/v codecs, plus McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (had
already been running McAfee, which came on my computer, for a year).

This is not a smooth-scrolling problem. Smooth-scrolling has always
been enabled on my system without any problem, and I have tried
disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

SlowScrolling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
|>folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
|>list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
|>once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
|>similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.
|>
|>My system is a powerful Dell Dimension 8400, XP Pro, 3.4 GHz, 2 GB
|>RAM, with fast Western Digital hard drives, and never had even a hint
|>of this problem until a few days ago. However, the number of files in
|>my various folders has not increased significantly, and they were
|>scrolling fine a week ago; now they are not. During this time, I've
|>installed some new programs, including Nero 7 Ultra, Adobe Audition
|>2.0, some a/v codecs, plus McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (had
|>already been running McAfee, which came on my computer, for a year).
|>
|>This is not a smooth-scrolling problem. Smooth-scrolling has always
|>been enabled on my system without any problem, and I have tried
|>disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
|>least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.
|>
|>All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>

See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
up explorer on an AVI file.

You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's

To re register the dll
Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>

SlowScrolling

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:32:00 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> SlowScrolling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>|>In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
>|>folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
>|>list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
>|>once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
>|>similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.
>|>
>|>My system is a powerful Dell Dimension 8400, XP Pro, 3.4 GHz, 2 GB
>|>RAM, with fast Western Digital hard drives, and never had even a hint
>|>of this problem until a few days ago. However, the number of files in
>|>my various folders has not increased significantly, and they were
>|>scrolling fine a week ago; now they are not. During this time, I've
>|>installed some new programs, including Nero 7 Ultra, Adobe Audition
>|>2.0, some a/v codecs, plus McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (had
>|>already been running McAfee, which came on my computer, for a year).
>|>
>|>This is not a smooth-scrolling problem. Smooth-scrolling has always
>|>been enabled on my system without any problem, and I have tried
>|>disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
>|>least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.
>|>
>|>All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>

>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>
>
>See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
>up explorer on an AVI file.
>
>You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
>for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's
>
>To re register the dll
>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>

Pennywise, I just tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't
work. No change was noticed when attempting to scroll through a folder
with many files.

Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
exactly what programs are using how much RAM?

I'd like to try Mark's suggestion to "turn off" programs to try and
find if one is the culprit, but don't know how to "turn off" a program
short of uninstalling it. Since the culprit program, if there is one,
seems to be using up the RAM from the very beginning after rebooting,
perhaps that program is being auto-started. I'm not clear on how to
stop a program from auto-starting (and then to restore it if it's not
the prob), but am guessing that may be what Mark means by "turning
off" a program.

Thanks for your suggestion. All are greatly appreciated.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

SlowScrolling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>
|>>
|>>See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
|>>up explorer on an AVI file.
|>>
|>>You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
|>>for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's
|>>
|>>To re register the dll
|>>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>
|>
|>Pennywise, I just tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't
|>work. No change was noticed when attempting to scroll through a folder
|>with many files.
|>
|>Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
|>booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
|>started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
|>exactly what programs are using how much RAM?
|>
|>I'd like to try Mark's suggestion to "turn off" programs to try and
|>find if one is the culprit, but don't know how to "turn off" a program
|>short of uninstalling it. Since the culprit program, if there is one,
|>seems to be using up the RAM from the very beginning after rebooting,
|>perhaps that program is being auto-started. I'm not clear on how to
|>stop a program from auto-starting (and then to restore it if it's not
|>the prob), but am guessing that may be what Mark means by "turning
|>off" a program.

One I use is Process Explorer

download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

Stick it in your start up menu, it has a history, double click on the
top right while it shows ram usage as a whole individual programs can
be seen by double clicking on the process and reading it's performance
graph; or with taskmanager.
also
Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
Works if you want a list

bughunter.dustin@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> One I use is Process Explorer
>
> download and run Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
off applications from starting with windows.

> also
> Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
> Works if you want a list

Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
above.

--
Dustin
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
|>
|>> One I use is Process Explorer
|>>
|>> download and run Process Explorer
|>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html
|>
|>It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
|>off applications from starting with windows.

your snipage show'd a change in stroke
"Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
exactly what programs are using how much RAM?"

|>> also
|>> Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
|>> Works if you want a list
|>
|>Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
|>above.

rootkits excempt'd.

--
http://www.mrandmrswheatley.co.uk/cunningstunt.html

bughunter.dustin@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> |>It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
> |>off applications from starting with windows.
>
> your snipage show'd a change in stroke
> "Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
> booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
> started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
> exactly what programs are using how much RAM?"

Hmm, I don't think I said it wouldn't do those things, snippage aside.
Really tho, if your hinting that I'm doing something wrong, just come
out and say it. What I said was it's a poor choice for controlling
applications which startup with windows, that's all.

> |>Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
> |>above.
>
> rootkits excempt'd.

Rootkits, most forms of adware, spyware and trojans, you meant.
Rootkits is but one which hides from taskmanager.

OTH, I'm still waiting for you to explain how BugHunter is a
trojan....?

--
Dustin
Author of BugHunter malware removal tool

bughunter.dustin@gmail.com

SlowScrolling wrote:
> In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
> folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
> list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
> once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
> similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.

Which view type are you using?
under view, is it thumbnails or something? Try setting it to details
and tell us what happens.

SlowScrolling

On 18 Jul 2006 09:49:07 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>SlowScrolling wrote:
>> In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
>> folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
>> list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
>> once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
>> similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.

>Which view type are you using?
>under view, is it thumbnails or something?

Am using "List" as my view type.

Note that the first hang-up is brief, lasting a couple of seconds
only, whether viewing in List or Details. However, subsequent attempts
to drag the scrolling slider do not un-hang for significantly longer,
aprox 18 seconds, and then Explorer.exe CPU usage of about 50% ends
after about 30 more secs after the scroll slider un-hangs.

BTW, using ProcessExplorer, it looks like the only thing going on when
the hang-up occurs in List view is that the CPU usage spikes
momentarily, then stays elevated but less so until about 45 seconds
after the hang-up ends.

Explorer.exe seems to be causing the usage, spiking from nothing or
..77 up to 75 - 95% momentarily, then settling down to about 50 until
about 45 seconds *after* the hang-up ends.

>Try setting it to details and tell us what happens.

Changing it to Details reduces the hang-up time. However, each
subsequent scroll attempt hangs-up longer than the preceding attempt.
The cumulative effect is still present.

SlowScrolling

I just solved the problem by completely uninstalling Nero 7 Ultra.
Only disabling Nero Scout was not enough. But uninstalling N7U
completely now has the scroll bar in my large folders dragging and
scrolling soooo nicely and smoothly again!... I knew it could be
restored, because as originally stated, the problem only showed up a
few days ago, without a significant change in the number of files. -
just those darn Nero files...

Looks like Nero is indeed the resource hog that we've all read/heard
about...

Thanks for everyone's help - very much. Am glad to have finally found
the problem.

NOTE: Storage on small folders, large folders, or one folder Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov Computer Support 1 06-24-2006 09:09 AM
slow and Jerky scrolling in IE ethanlifka@yahoo.com HTML 5 03-08-2006 06:58 AM
Jerky scrolling? John Firefox 2 11-13-2004 06:49 PM
Clear hangs up - & hangs up - & hangs up Sue Bilstein NZ Computing 26 03-07-2004 01:33 AM
Jerky scrolling Internet Explorer Drummerboy Computer Support 6 08-31-2003 07:45 AM

Advertisments