Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot Order query

Boot Order query

MZB

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.

I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:

1) Diskette drive (but I have none)

2) Internal Hard Drive

3) External USB Hard Drive

4) CD/DVD Combo Drive

So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??

In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.

Am I missing something here?

Mel

Mike Easter

MZB wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>
> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)

Change that then.

> 2) Internal Hard Drive

Good.

> 3) External USB Hard Drive

That can be a useful feature if needed, otherwise not.

> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive

Sometimes you are going to want that first.

> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it
> make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one
> checked??

If you are planning on booting from the CD, that is a good time to have
the CD first. Otherwise for everyday work/boot you would like for the
boot order to represent what you want to boot from, ie the hdd, not the
floppy you don't have, not the USB you aren't using, etc.

> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.

You can have the hdd first normally and change the boot order any time
you need to do things differently. No need to have some oddball
bootorder working all the time. Why have a non-existent floppy and
not-used USB in front of the hdd?

> Am I missing something here?

Select a good boot order for your everyday life. If you need to put the
CD first at some time, do it then.

--
Mike Easter

Rick

"MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HBOug.651$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>
> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
>
> 2) Internal Hard Drive
>
> 3) External USB Hard Drive
>
> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
>
> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
> sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
>
> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>

> Mel

If the hard drive crashes it should move on then to boot from CD, but you
can change your boot sequence at any time. I prefer not to have my CD as
1st boot since if I leave a bootable CD in the drive it will want to boot on
it first
but it's all a personal preference since it can be changed at any time.
I would set it to boot 1. hard drive 2. CD

MZB

Mike and Rick:

My concern is this: in the event of a crash, would I still be able to access
the CMOS, change the boot order, and then boot from the CD?? If so, then
I'll just put the HDD first and the CD 2nd

Mel

news:44bbb75d$0$17952$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> MZB wrote:
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>
>> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>>
>> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)

> Change that then.
>
>> 2) Internal Hard Drive

> Good.
>
>> 3) External USB Hard Drive

> That can be a useful feature if needed, otherwise not.
>
>> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive

> Sometimes you are going to want that first.
>
>> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it
>> make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one
>> checked??

> If you are planning on booting from the CD, that is a good time to have
> the CD first. Otherwise for everyday work/boot you would like for the
> boot order to represent what you want to boot from, ie the hdd, not the
> floppy you don't have, not the USB you aren't using, etc.
>
>> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.

> You can have the hdd first normally and change the boot order any time
> you need to do things differently. No need to have some oddball
> bootorder working all the time. Why have a non-existent floppy and
> not-used USB in front of the hdd?
>
>> Am I missing something here?

> Select a good boot order for your everyday life. If you need to put the
> CD first at some time, do it then.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

MZB wrote:

> My concern is this: in the event of a crash, would I still be able to
> access the CMOS, change the boot order, and then boot from the CD??

Yes -- if what you mean by 'a crash' is the 'failure' of the hdd or the
failure of the OS of the boot sector to boot. There are many different
strategies to maintaining redundancy and recoverability. Partitioning
the drive for more than one OS even if the partitions are the same OS,
having more than one hdd.

> If so, then I'll just put the HDD first and the CD 2nd

OK.

Currently your strategy is to be able to boot from the CD if the one and
only bootable OS doesn't boot -- to try to 'tinker' with the one and
only bootable OS's condition from the CD boot.

That is a very useful strategy compared to having no strategy.
Naturally that strategy would require a very decent backup of any kind
of data you can't afford to lose - eg if the hdd or its controller just
'died', or if the partition's files were destroyed by some malware or
such.

Preparation for recovery is a good idea. A recovery CD is one little
strategy.

--
Mike Easter

Synapse Syndrome

news:wIOug.2381$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HBOug.651$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>
>> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>>
>> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
>>
>> 2) Internal Hard Drive
>>
>> 3) External USB Hard Drive
>>
>> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
>>
>> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
>> sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
>>
>> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>>

>> Mel
>>

> If the hard drive crashes it should move on then to boot from CD, but you
> can change your boot sequence at any time. I prefer not to have my CD as
> 1st boot since if I leave a bootable CD in the drive it will want to boot
> on it first
> but it's all a personal preference since it can be changed at any time.
> I would set it to boot 1. hard drive 2. CD

Yes, moving floppy and CD bootup after HDD and then password locking the
BIOS is also good for data security, or to stop user's from taking control
of admin accounts on networks.

ss.

Toolman Tim

MZB wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>
> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
>
> 2) Internal Hard Drive
>
> 3) External USB Hard Drive
>
> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
>
> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it
> make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one
> checked??
> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>

> Mel

One other piece of advice besides what's already been given: unless you are
running on OS other than Windows, disable that "external USB hard drive"
boot option, because Windows won't run from a USB drive.

Personally, I put the CD/DVD as the first boot device, then the hard drive
as the second. That way, if I need to boot from CD, I just pop it in and
restart. (I don't have a tendency to leave CDs in the drive, else that might
cause issues sometimes.)

ProfGene

MZB wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>
> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
>
> 2) Internal Hard Drive
>
> 3) External USB Hard Drive
>
> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
>
> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
> sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
>
> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>

> Mel

If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
will probably go to it with the order you have now. You might as well
delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the CDrom
drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk you have in
there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long but is unnecssisary.

Toolman Tim

Mara wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:09:09 -0600, ProfGene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> MZB wrote:
>>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>>
>>> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
>>>
>>> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
>>>
>>> 2) Internal Hard Drive
>>>
>>> 3) External USB Hard Drive
>>>
>>> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
>>>
>>> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would
>>> it make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first
>>> one checked??
>>>
>>> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something here?
>>>

>>> Mel
>>>

>> If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
>> will probably go to it with the order you have now.

> No, it won't. It will boot from the hard drive first. MZB said they
> had a backup bootable *CD.* Can't you read?

Correct. And if the HD is not functioning correctly, it will NOT move on to
the CD/DVD automatically. It only does that if the HD is totally not found.
In my experience, if the BIOS recognises the drive, but can't boot from it,
most systems stop there.

>> You might as well
>> delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the
>> CDrom drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk
>> you have in there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long
>> but is unnecssisary.

> Unnecessary, if she's actually trying to boot from the cd?! <BOGGLE!>

<snip>

Perhaps you should be more specific about which side of the teacher's desk
to sit at <g>

Jimchip

On 2006-07-18, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Maybe I should whip up a quick computer IQ test myself.
>
> Me: "What does a cd-rw drive do?"

It depends on what the software tells it to do. Sometimes it reads,
sometimes it writes, sometimes it sings rw,rw,rw your boat...

> Test taker: "Uh...."

Test Taker:"Is that the same as a DVD?"

> /me locks and loads

//Me...ducks for cover

> *BLAM!*

Damn, forgot the earplugs!

> Ooh yes, I think I could learn to enjoy that, with a big enough gun.
>
> People do stupid things sometimes - we all do, every one of us. But ProfGene has
> made it into a calling.

It's his "vocation".

> "He hasn't yet learned that being good at being stupid doesn't count for a
> damned thing."

Sorta bad at being stupid, IMO.

--
You'll never see all the places, or read all the books,
but fortunately, they're not all recommended.