Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer won't start

Computer won't start

Barry OGrady

On 16 Jul 2006 21:49:26 -0700, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tried that to with no luck.

Tried what?

>Mike

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Mike

Barry OGrady wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2006 21:49:26 -0700, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Tried that to with no luck.

> Tried what?

Sorry, meant to say tried removing each RAM stick.

Mike

Mike

> Its not the hard drive if it won't POST.
> I have the same problem with a 2.4 Ghz Celeron desktop.
> It could be the power supply. Mine has two sticks of 256 meg DDR RAM
> and I tried each one at a time to no avail.
> Mine seems to be temperature sensitive in that if I leave it powered on for
> say 20 minutes I may then be able to get it to boot.
>
> Barry
> =====
> Home page
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Thanks Barry. It definitely not doing the POST when I turn it on. I
can't even get it to recognize the keyboard or mouse as no light comes
on the keyboard when turned on.

A weird thing just happened. I hooked up a new, never before used
wireless optical keyboard and mouse and the lights came on the infrared
sensor part until I turned the computer on. Then they went out and I
had nothing again. The green light on the back of the PSU is staying on
all the time too, whether turned on or off.

Thanks again,
Mike

Mike

Forgot to mention that I tried the leaving it on for 20 minute thing
but no luck.

Toolman Tim

Mike wrote:
>> Its not the hard drive if it won't POST.
>> I have the same problem with a 2.4 Ghz Celeron desktop.
>> It could be the power supply. Mine has two sticks of 256 meg DDR RAM
>> and I tried each one at a time to no avail.
>> Mine seems to be temperature sensitive in that if I leave it powered
>> on for say 20 minutes I may then be able to get it to boot.
>>
>> Barry
>> =====
>> Home page
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

> Thanks Barry. It definitely not doing the POST when I turn it on. I
> can't even get it to recognize the keyboard or mouse as no light comes
> on the keyboard when turned on.
>
> A weird thing just happened. I hooked up a new, never before used
> wireless optical keyboard and mouse and the lights came on the
> infrared sensor part until I turned the computer on. Then they went
> out and I had nothing again. The green light on the back of the PSU
> is staying on all the time too, whether turned on or off.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

The lights on the mouse are normal, even with a "dead" PC, as long ast the
PSU is working. Think nothing of it.

As for the rest, it sure sounds like a bad mobo or CPU or PS. Yes, you can
have a partially dead PS that gives power in one voltage but not another. So
the lights might work, and the 5v to the USB might work, but there's no 12v
to the CPU, etc. Since your first post indicated the drives are spinning up,
I don't think that's the case. But if you have one you can swap in
temporarily, I'd still try that.

Did you ever try resetting the CMOS? Not likely to be the problem either,
but bad data in the CMOS memory could possibly hang the system before a
POST.

Mike

> The lights on the mouse are normal, even with a "dead" PC, as long ast the
> PSU is working. Think nothing of it.
>
> As for the rest, it sure sounds like a bad mobo or CPU or PS. Yes, you can
> have a partially dead PS that gives power in one voltage but not another. So
> the lights might work, and the 5v to the USB might work, but there's no 12v
> to the CPU, etc. Since your first post indicated the drives are spinning up,
> I don't think that's the case. But if you have one you can swap in
> temporarily, I'd still try that.
>
> Did you ever try resetting the CMOS? Not likely to be the problem either,
> but bad data in the CMOS memory could possibly hang the system before a
> POST.

Thanks Toolman. After doing some more research online here I am
starting to think that it may be either the mobo or CPU too. Was
thinking of trying a different PSU but don't have any laying around
right now (will have to dig one up somewhere).

I did pop the CMOS battery out and left it for a half hour before
popping it back in as I remember that fixing several similiar problems
with other computers I had.

Basically, if I take everything out of the computer (including memory,
video and NIC card, and unplug the CD-Rom and floppy drives); heck even
the hard drive, I still get the same effect. No POST or beeps or
anything.

Thanks again,
Mike

Martik

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Barry OGrady wrote:
>> On 16 Jul 2006 21:49:26 -0700, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Tried that to with no luck.

>> Tried what?

> Sorry, meant to say tried removing each RAM stick.
>
> Mike

At this point I would say it's the CPU, PS or MB however your original posts
mentions a 'weird noise' which puzzles me since none of those components
normally fails in that manner. Check the PS first then the other 2. Do you
have a voltmeter? If it's the MB, toss the Compaq case and transplant
everything over to a new case and MB. It will be too expensive to replace
the Compaq MB.

ProfGene

Mike wrote:
> My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
> of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
> while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
> make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
> down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
> she went to turn it back on, nothing.
>
> I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
> When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
> the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
> monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
> suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
> that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
> the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
> amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
> have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
> something but to no avail.
>
> Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
> clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
> and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.
>
> Any suggestions that I may try first.
>
> Thank you much,
> Mike

The motherboard could be fried. You cannot necessarily see this. It
could have overheated or shorted out and it might look normal but it
could be dead. But there is very little to go on and it could be
something else.

Toolman Tim

Mike wrote:
>> The lights on the mouse are normal, even with a "dead" PC, as long
>> ast the PSU is working. Think nothing of it.
>>
>> As for the rest, it sure sounds like a bad mobo or CPU or PS. Yes,
>> you can have a partially dead PS that gives power in one voltage but
>> not another. So the lights might work, and the 5v to the USB might
>> work, but there's no 12v to the CPU, etc. Since your first post
>> indicated the drives are spinning up, I don't think that's the case.
>> But if you have one you can swap in temporarily, I'd still try that.
>>
>> Did you ever try resetting the CMOS? Not likely to be the problem
>> either, but bad data in the CMOS memory could possibly hang the
>> system before a POST.
>>

> Thanks Toolman. After doing some more research online here I am
> starting to think that it may be either the mobo or CPU too. Was
> thinking of trying a different PSU but don't have any laying around
> right now (will have to dig one up somewhere).
>
> I did pop the CMOS battery out and left it for a half hour before
> popping it back in as I remember that fixing several similiar problems
> with other computers I had.
>
> Basically, if I take everything out of the computer (including memory,
> video and NIC card, and unplug the CD-Rom and floppy drives); heck
> even the hard drive, I still get the same effect. No POST or beeps or
> anything.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

Yeah - if the CPU/motherboard were working at all, you'd get beep codes with
no video or RAM installed. It really doesn't sound good.

Martik mentioned earlier that your original post said something about a
'weird noise' - any chance you could provide a better description? I've
heard funny noises from motherboards when capacitors went out (screeching or
fizzling) or when semiconductors like voltage regulators blow (popping or
squealing). But generally with the case on, those sounds are not loud enough
to distinguish. Although any blown components of those types typically have
a definate odor as well. Have you done an inch-by-inch exam of the
components on the motherboard? The last 5 or 6 systems I've had brought in
recently with blown motherboards all had good CPU and RAM, so I was able to
replace just the board. And all but one motherboard had visible damage on
the integrated circuits.

William Foster

Dear Mike,

I am not exactly an expert, only an informed amateur,having learnt from
bitter experience. It sounds like your power supply may be up the creek, or
perhaps your daughter was very unlucky and came across a really nasty virus
which messes up the bios. Did she have an effective antivirus program?
Whether the hard drive spins up or not this should not affect the startup.

Normally the first thing you see on powerup is the display cards
announcement. If you have another workingcomputer and can access the
internet you should search for a device which can check the power supply.
After all someone must make such a thing. One other thing: was the video
card you took out an AGP card or a PCI card. Most bios's are selectively
configurable for either one of these, and if your system has the wrong
selection you will not see anything at bootup. If you have an old PCI video
card try putting that in as well, and ataching the monitor cable to it. If
you don't have one, ask if your local computer shop has one in their
workshop, or look in one of those dubious backstreet shops(careful about
what they charge you!)or go to a local computer fair and look for a vendor
selling old cards. Carefully look through the manual for the motherboard,
and see if there is any magic keypress which restores default settings.
usually to reset the CMOS you have to temporarily put a jumper on a
selected pair of pins, which resets the cmos( Look in the manual, and if you
have lost the manual, download another copy from the motherboards website.

ne other word of warning. If this was caused by a virus, do not put the
hard drive in another computer unles it has effective anti-virus
installed.If it has effective antivirus, then you can scan the drive for
viruses, and if you find one you can look it up, and see if it is a nasty
one. .

Hope this helps.

regards,

Bill