Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows closing down (not)

Windows closing down (not)

Maurice Fleisher

I have two bootable partitions. One for video editing with the minimum of
additional programmes. This one boots up and closes down fine.

The other, which is for general usage and has a lot of applications, boots
up OK but lately it won't close down without me having to do it manually. I
will click on Start>Turn off the computer and after quite a few minutes it
says "Logging Off" then after some more minutes it says "Windows is closing
down" ......................only it doesn't.

I first noticed this when I once left it to complete the close down sequence
on its own and went to bed. When I came back in the morning the same
message was still on the screen. Since then I have deliberately waited for a
long time to see if this repeats and most often it does. I have to press the
reboot button or the on/off button but then I run the risk of losing the
most recent data manipulations.

Any ideas?

Toolman Tim

Maurice Fleisher wrote:
> I have two bootable partitions. One for video editing with the
> minimum of additional programmes. This one boots up and closes down
> fine.
> The other, which is for general usage and has a lot of applications,
> boots up OK but lately it won't close down without me having to do it
> manually. I will click on Start>Turn off the computer and after quite
> a few minutes it says "Logging Off" then after some more minutes it
> says "Windows is closing down" ......................only it doesn't.
>
> I first noticed this when I once left it to complete the close down
> sequence on its own and went to bed. When I came back in the morning
> the same message was still on the screen. Since then I have
> deliberately waited for a long time to see if this repeats and most
> often it does. I have to press the reboot button or the on/off button
> but then I run the risk of losing the most recent data manipulations.

And the VERSION of Windows is WHAT?

There's only about 7 or 8 out there in usage, not counting server varieties.

But you COULD start with this:

http://support.microsoft.com and search for "windows XX not shutting down"
and replace the XX with your version.

(or do the same at www.google.com)