Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsreaders

Reply
Thread Tools

Newsreaders

 
 
Frosty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
which sucked worst of all.

I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
particular ng in one swell foop.
And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
EZ outta the box.

Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
nagware.

Frosty
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Frosty wrote:
> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader? I've tried
> Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE which really
> sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing which sucked
> worst of all.


There are more than one "X things", so I don't know what you tried. My
recommendation is Xnews. Next would be Dialog. This is assuming you
need a GUI.

> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
> particular ng in one swell foop. And one that'll do threading without
> much hassle.
>
> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
> EZ outta the box.


Are you also allergic to going through all of stuff off the main menu,
so you know what's there and what can be done and configured? If so, I
can't recommend *any* news cllients for you.

> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
> nagware.


The above are freeware.

Best place to further explore: news.software.readers. See you there.


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Frosty wrote:

> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
> which sucked worst of all.
>
> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
> particular ng in one swell foop.
> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.
>

Agent is one of the best newsreaders for windows. One cannot "delete"
messages anyway, that would mean sending cancel messages which simply isn't
allowed for any other messages but your own, and is rather fruitless btw.
You mix up "filtering" with "deleting".
Agent allows filters for one newsgroup or for any you have subscribed.

> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
> EZ outta the box.
>

Stay with Outbug Excuse. It is intended for that. And yet, you can find some
nice features and workarounds for it's pitfalls, _when_ you RTFM.

> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
> nagware.
>

Use linux. A lot of free newsreaders, binary as well, and also p2p tools.

--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.16-mm1,Xorg7.0 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
On 2006-07-16, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
> which sucked worst of all.
>
> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
> particular ng in one swell foop.


That's usually known as 'catchup' and I haven't found a newsreader that
can't do that.

> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.


There are few newsreaders that don't thread; what do you mean by 'without
hassle'? Any good threading newsreader will give you some options for
different ways of threading.

> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
> EZ outta the box.


U want it 2 speke yor l4ngwaj?

> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
> nagware.
>
> Frosty


There aren't many that aren't free to use.

If you want one that has few user options to set, perhaps
<http://www.newega.com/> will suit you - it's still very much in the early
stages of development, and uses a web browser to provide the user
interface. There are versions for Linux and Windows.

See also <http://www.newsreaders.com/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frosty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
On or about Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:14:45 +0200, an entity identified as
Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly
proclaimed:

>Frosty wrote:
>
>> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
>> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
>> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks, and that X thing
>> which sucked worst of all.
>>
>> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
>> particular ng in one swell foop.
>> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.
>>

>Agent is one of the best newsreaders for windows. One cannot "delete"
>messages anyway, that would mean sending cancel messages which simply isn't
>allowed for any other messages but your own, and is rather fruitless btw.
>You mix up "filtering" with "deleting".
>Agent allows filters for one newsgroup or for any you have subscribed.


<sigh>
Yes Walter, I don't mean one which sends rm's. Rm's don't work anyway.
I meant one that deletes messages from my viewing screen.
Maybe OE does that but it's alfully difficult. Agent OTOH just makes
me highlight 'em and hit my delete key. I want one like that.
I've been using Agent (or FreeAgent) since 1995 but I need a second,
and not another Agent (which can be set up so that two people can each
have their own copy on the same box.)
>
>> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
>> EZ outta the box.
>>

>Stay with Outbug Excuse. It is intended for that. And yet, you can find some
>nice features and workarounds for it's pitfalls, _when_ you RTFM.


No, Outhouse Entrails is a total piece of ****.
I don't wanna RTFM. F the M. F all M's. Make the steenkin' things EZ
to F'n R and we'll R them. You can start with the M in Hamster.
>
>> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
>> nagware.
>>

>Use linux. A lot of free newsreaders, binary as well, and also p2p tools.


I may be Frosty but I ain't F'n wid no steekin' penguins!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Vanguard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
"Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader?
> I've tried Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE
> which really sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,


Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,
until now. Maybe for good reason, too. There is OE-QuoteFix if you
want to alter some of OE's behavior (but bottom-posting and
bottom-signing were added in SP2 for WinXP via registry edits) and
there is also FidoLook (but its documentation sucks and some features
are hard to figure out).

> and that X thing
> which sucked worst of all.


An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
bother making references if only you understand them?

> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
> particular ng in one swell foop.


If you want to delete all messages of a group in OE, you can either
just delete the .dbx file for that group or right-click on the group
in OE, Properties, Local File, and reset it. Poof, all messages are
gone and you start from scratch again and get to redownload all the
headers again (up to whatever max count you specified, if enabled, in
options).

If you want to delete several messages but not all of them in OE, I
have never found it that difficult to highlight one, or several, of
them and then simply hit the Del key. You could also just click
(twice) in the Watch column to get the red hazard symbol which means
those posts will be hidden when you return to the group (providing you
use a view that hides Ignored messages). However, OE won't work with
threads when deleting or hiding, but then we really don't know what
you meant by "deleting all messages" since that is simply deleting the
..dbx file or resetting the group in OE.

> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.


OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.

> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead
> is
> EZ outta the box.


I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the included
help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they go. They
usually refer back to the help if they can't manage to figure out
something later or come here when they are too lazy to go look in the
options for the program.

> Oh, and while I'm wishing, I'd like it to be freeware, or at least
> nagware.


OE is free. So are several other newsreaders. There is Xnews but
maybe that is the "X thing" that you mentioned. I don't like its GUI
but it is a capable newsreader and even supports decent regular
expressions to use in scoring the posts so you can define some potent
filters. I suspect the "Agent" that you used was the freebie Forte
version which is highly crippled; see
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php. Until recently, it
continued using a GUI that looked like it was developed back under
Windows 3.x but they cleaned it up in the latest version. The freebie
version won't even support multiple NNTP servers (unless you use the
trick of defining multiple config files to open multiple instances of
FreeAgent). You might like 40tude Dialog. Download it from the
German site since the English site has been dead for many, many
months. However, it doesn't separate its data based on login account
(i.e., it was developed back under Windows 3.x/9x and hasn't a clue
regarding security by separating user data by account) so you may end
up doing multiple installs of it under each account to keep multiple
users on the same host from screwing up each other's setup.
Thunderbird does some things better or more correctly than OE but the
rules set in Thunderbird suck worse than for OE.

Best is to just go try them yourself. No one can really tell you
which is best since that is entirely a personal decision. You don't
define a decent list of criteria so you really don't know what you
want, either. Of course, it is just a guess that you are using
Windows for the OS from what newsreaders you did mention, and you are
posting with Forte which only supports Windows. Since there are
plenty of free ones, there are plenty for you to try to see which one
you like. Just be aware that some free "trials" mean that the freebie
version, if they have one, is often very crippled, as in the case with
Forte Free Agent.

You can find a plethora of information regarding Usenet at
http://newsreaders.com/. Click on the "Clients (Newsreaders)" link
(for your OS) to see a list of newsreaders. That'll keep you busy
figuring out which newsreader that YOU happen to like best.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Vanguard wrote:
> "Frosty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can some of youse guys please recommend a newsreader? I've tried
>> Agent (which I'm using 'til I find something better) OE which really
>> sucks IMO, Noworyta which also sucks,

>
> Never heard of it before. Never heard anyone mention it, either,


I've seen a couple guys using it, over the years.

> until now. Maybe for good reason, too. There is OE-QuoteFix if you
> want to alter some of OE's behavior (but bottom-posting and
> bottom-signing were added in SP2 for WinXP via registry edits) and
> there is also FidoLook (but its documentation sucks and some features
> are hard to figure out).
>
>> and that X thing which sucked worst of all.

>
> An X thing? Oh, yeah, clear as mud. Remember that we aren't there
> looking over your shoulder to know what the hell you are doing. Why
> bother making references if only you understand them?


I am. He's only typing with one hand.

>> And one that'll do threading without much hassle.

>
> OE does threading. In fact, I haven't seen any GUI newsreader that
> doesn't do threading. I suppose some of the command-line newsreaders
> might have problems in presenting a decent hierarchical display for a
> thread but all the GUI newsreaders do just fine.


The GUI (GTK+) news client XPN doesn't thread:

http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

>> I want one that doesn't require months of reading TFM, but instead is
>> EZ outta the box.

>
> I have yet to see a single user of OE ever bother to read the included
> help. They just enter in the NNTP server info and off they go. They


Once someone tells them what an NNTP server is.

> FreeAgent). You might like 40tude Dialog. Download it from the


I've been using and promoting Xnews for years. I finally got around to
setting up Dialog this month, and I'm favorably impressed. In fact, I'm
now using it on my Win laptop for *mail*, instead of Thunderbird, which
I never really liked and would *only* recommend over OE.

> German site since the English site has been dead for many, many
> months. However, it doesn't separate its data based on login account
> (i.e., it was developed back under Windows 3.x/9x and hasn't a clue


Well, not *quite* back then. Marcus announced it in
news.software.readers on March 25, 2001:

<q>

I am looking for about 10 alpha and 50 beta testers for a Windows
newsreader. The application is comparable to Forte's Agent newsreader.

You will need to have Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000 (one of these), an
internet connection, a good knowledge of the English language, lots of
time and fun testing.

....

</q>


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
>
> <sigh>


> Maybe OE does that but it's alfully difficult.


<sigh>

Why don't you ask K-Hen again for the *feature rich* program of hers Frosty?

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
elaich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8jjpo3-ktc.ln1@ID-
107770.user.individual.net:

>> I want one that will allow me to delete all the messages of a
>> particular ng in one swell foop.

>
> That's usually known as 'catchup' and I haven't found a newsreader that
> can't do that.



The "X thing" (XNews) that you said sucks is the best free newsreader I've
found, but it's not for idiots. F8 will catch up the group and mark all
posts as "read." How much easier do you want it?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
You'll notice every time I mention the *ho*'s name here comes Ms. Ronda.
It's too coincidental indeed.

K-Hen and Ms. Ronda is one pea in the pod.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newsreaders ... very off topic Al Jones HTML 1 01-31-2005 12:10 AM
Newsreaders ... very off topic Al Jones HTML 8 01-18-2005 10:12 AM
Newsreaders ... very off topic Al Jones HTML 7 01-17-2005 05:50 PM
Newsreaders ... very off topic Al Jones HTML 0 01-16-2005 08:49 PM
NewsReaders Dave Java 1 06-17-2004 01:55 PM



Advertisments