Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Win2k Domain with WinNT BDC help!

Win2k Domain with WinNT BDC help!

Guan Foo Wah

I have a Win2k Advance Server (with SP4) just been promoted to a domain
controller (still in mixed mode). I have just installed a WinNT 4.0 Server
BDC (with SP1). When trying to join the BDC to the win2k domain, I key in
the following

Computer Name = BDC
Domain = jeff
Administrator Name = administrator
Password = administrator password

I get "The machine account for this computer does not exist or is
inaccessible" error message. I tried to create a computer account called
"BDC" under domain controller or under computers with "Allow pre windows
2000 to use this account". Instead I get this message "This computer is
already configured as a workstation or server on the domain. Please contact
your domain administrator".

I cannot figure out what seems to be the problem. Anyone can help me?

Plain Jane@nospam.com

This is most likely if the Windows 2000-based computer or
Windows Server 2003-based computer is unable to resolve
the NetBIOS name of the Windows NT 4.0-based primary
domain controller.

Check for the following:

If you use Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to
resolve NetBIOS names, make sure that the IP addresses of
the WINS servers are configured correctly on Windows 2000-
based computers and Windows Server 2003-based computers,
and that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Hope this will help!

Laura A. Robinson

circa Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:45:47 +0800, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Guan Foo Wah ((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> I have a Win2k Advance Server (with SP4) just been promoted to a domain
> controller (still in mixed mode). I have just installed a WinNT 4.0 Server
> BDC (with SP1). When trying to join the BDC to the win2k domain, I key in
> the following
>
> Computer Name = BDC
> Domain = jeff
> Administrator Name = administrator
> Password = administrator password
>
> I get "The machine account for this computer does not exist or is
> inaccessible" error message. I tried to create a computer account called
> "BDC" under domain controller or under computers with "Allow pre windows
> 2000 to use this account". Instead I get this message "This computer is
> already configured as a workstation or server on the domain. Please contact
> your domain administrator".
>
> I cannot figure out what seems to be the problem. Anyone can help me?

You have to use Server Manager to add BDCs to the domain in Windows
2000. Go to start-> run -> srvmgr.exe and add it that way.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Laura A. Robinson

circa Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:41:14 -0800, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Plain http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
((E-Mail Removed)) said,

> This is most likely if the Windows 2000-based computer or
> Windows Server 2003-based computer is unable to resolve
> the NetBIOS name of the Windows NT 4.0-based primary
> domain controller.

Nope, it's a glitch in 2k.

Laura
--
I find that the further I go back, the better things were, whether
they happened or not.