Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recover deleted file not appearing in reccyle bin

Recover deleted file not appearing in reccyle bin

d-tarter@online.no

I have read many forum answers on this topic, but none have thoroughly
answered my question. Please help.

On a company network and have deleted a Word doc from a sub-folder.
The prompt came up asking "...delete to Recyle Bin" and hit ok. Later
checked bin and no file. Tried to Restore All from bin, and no file.
Checked bin properties and "bypass bin" is not checked. Attempted the
CMD prompt "CD Recycled" from a Z: drive prompt and get back "..cannot
find path specified." Have gone to Run: %systemdrive%\Recycler.
Folder opens in explorer, shows its hidden; but shows no contents.
Can't find a away to further explore that hidden folder.

Is the file possible in this hidden "Recycler" folder? How can I
explore it if its the right place to check?

Where else should I look? Is third party software the only option?

FYI - I do not have admin rights.

Thanks in advance for considering my issue.

JANA

I cannot answer this indirectly, but I be able to give you a clue. Look in
the Recycle Bin properties. Check to see if the space for deleted files was
set too small to hold the file you deleted. If so, the file would have been
cleaned out permanently. If for example, if the setting is at 10%, and your
file plus the other remaining files in the Recycle Bin were taking too much
space, the Recycle Bin would be auto cleaned.

Look also to see if there is a check mark at, "Do not move files to the
Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted". If this prompt has a
check mark, the deletion is permanent.

If you look on the other drives or partitions, normaly, there should be a
Recycle Bin icon in each. You can try double clicking on them to see if it
is possible that your file has been put in to the one that is on the drive
where the file was.

--

The last paragraph is particularly interesting.

From MS Help (F1)

Recycle Bin overview:
The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When
you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the
Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full. Items
deleted from a floppy disk or a network drive are permanently deleted and
are not sent to the Recycle Bin.

Items in the Recycle Bin remain there until you decide to permanently delete
them from your computer. These items still take up hard disk space and can
be undeleted or restored back to their original location. When it fills up,
Windows automatically cleans out enough space in the Recycle Bin to
accommodate the most recently deleted files and folders.

If you're running low on hard disk space, always remember to empty the
Recycle Bin. You can also restrict the size of the Recycle Bin to limit the
amount of hard disk space it takes up.
Windows allocates one Recycle Bin for each partition or hard disk. If your
hard disk is partitioned, or if you have more than one hard disk in your
computer, you can specify a different size for each Recycle Bin.

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the reply Jana.

I have checked RB properties; setting is 10% but the items there do not
equate to 2,000 KB. The prompt for "Do not move files to the Recycle
Bin..." is not checked. On the drive from which the file was deleted,
I cannot find its own RB. Only sub-folders created to store data.
Hard disk space is not a problem; more than enough remaining.

I found this piece from another guru in my quest for an answer -

"Not true. Files deleted from a shared folder on the local machine go
into
the recycle bin (unless the bin is disabled, as Ron has noted).

Files deleted from a folder that is not on a fixed disk on the local
machine
do not go into the recycle bin."

If the quoted statement is true, then I may be out of luck. It would
explain why docs I've deleted from my local drive "have" gone to the
RB. A test in deleting files from non-local drives have not gone to
the RB. Lastly, the bin is not disabled.

Either way, it just doesn't make sense that a deleted file, even from a
network drive, can't be recovered somehow. If you can recover from a
local drive, then a network recovery should be possible, I would think.
At least, it would be a bit more convenient.

Thanks again for reading...

JANA wrote:
> [...]
> answered my question. Please help.
>
> On a company network and have deleted a Word doc from a sub-folder.
> The prompt came up asking "...delete to Recyle Bin" and hit ok. Later
> checked bin and no file. Tried to Restore All from bin, and no file.
> Checked bin properties and "bypass bin" is not checked. Attempted the
> CMD prompt "CD Recycled" from a Z: drive prompt and get back "..cannot
> find path specified." Have gone to Run: %systemdrive%\Recycler.
> Folder opens in explorer, shows its hidden; but shows no contents.
> Can't find a away to further explore that hidden folder.
>
> Is the file possible in this hidden "Recycler" folder? How can I
> explore it if its the right place to check?
>
> Where else should I look? Is third party software the only option?
>
> FYI - I do not have admin rights.
>
> Thanks in advance for considering my issue.

Agree....nonetheless, how does an Admin unhide and retrieve this file?
That's what I would like to know.

> No. The file header in the directory entry of the file structure has a field
> that marks the file as deleted. The contents of the file itself (and the
> file header, which is now hidden) are still intact on the server, assuming
> the free space has not been filled by something else.

Great. Then it is still on the server; that's what I expect. Now the
question is HOW to find it. Regardless of who has to do it, I need to
know the steps that lead me to the doc. It should still be recoverable
as the data should not be overwritten. Not so much activity on my
server; holiday season. Explains why I'm searching here for an
independent fix; if possible.

If the possibility exists to attempt a recovery and someone has the
knowledge, would appreciate if it was shared.

Rectum Burrrn

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I cannot answer this indirectly, but I be able to give you a clue.
> Look in the Recycle Bin properties. Check to see if the space for
> deleted files was set too small to hold the file you deleted. If so,
> the file would have been cleaned out permanently. If for example, if
> the setting is at 10%, and your file plus the other remaining files in
> the Recycle Bin were taking too much space, the Recycle Bin would be
> auto cleaned.
>
> Look also to see if there is a check mark at, "Do not move files to
> the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted". If this
> prompt has a check mark, the deletion is permanent.

Why oh why do you try to answer something you are entirely ****ing clueless
about? You do realize (OK, you ****ing well don't) if you give someone bad
advice and they're stupid enough to follow it, you'll **** up their PC.
He's deleting something on a mapped drive on the server, of course it isn't
going to show up in his recycle bin.

Rectum Burrrn