Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unstable connection on Hotspots with Windows 98

Unstable connection on Hotspots with Windows 98

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCAoQm9ybml2YWwp?=

Orange in France mentions that its network of hospots works only with Windows
XP or Windows 2K, and gives only unstable connections with Windows 98. I
tested this and found indeed that connections were unstable with my laptop
running under Windows 98. Yet, with the SAME machine and the same network
card, I can get quite stable connections with other providers in several
other countries. Can anyone explain this ? I asked Orange technical service
for help or comments but they declined to provide any explanation except to
state that, indeed, they noticed that connections were unstable with Windows
98.
Paul.

Pavel A.

Paul,
what model of netcard have you used, with which additional software
(Funk Odissey? Utility that come with the card?)
and what are security settings of the hotspot (fully open, WEP, WPA...)
Is your win98 the Second edition or earlier version?

Regards,
--PA

"Paul (Bornival)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Orange in France mentions that its network of hospots works only with Windows
> XP or Windows 2K, and gives only unstable connections with Windows 98. I
> tested this and found indeed that connections were unstable with my laptop
> running under Windows 98. Yet, with the SAME machine and the same network
> card, I can get quite stable connections with other providers in several
> other countries. Can anyone explain this ? I asked Orange technical service
> for help or comments but they declined to provide any explanation except to
> state that, indeed, they noticed that connections were unstable with Windows
> 98.
> Paul.

Jack

Hi

Well the way I see it there is two solutions.

1.. The Provider makes it his business that their system is compliable
with Win98.
2.. You upgrade to WinXP. (If your Laptop is lacking the resources for
WinXP may be Win2000 is the solution).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Paul (Bornival)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Orange in France mentions that its network of hospots works only with

Windows
> XP or Windows 2K, and gives only unstable connections with Windows 98. I
> tested this and found indeed that connections were unstable with my laptop
> running under Windows 98. Yet, with the SAME machine and the same network
> card, I can get quite stable connections with other providers in several
> other countries. Can anyone explain this ? I asked Orange technical

service
> for help or comments but they declined to provide any explanation except

> state that, indeed, they noticed that connections were unstable with

Windows
> 98.
> Paul.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCAoQm9ybml2YWwp?=

Jack,
Thank you for the suggestions. But do you know (or does Microsoft know) WHY
Wi-Fi connections are unstable with Windows 98 ? The 811g protocol should be
platform-independent . An what can explain that some hotspots are more
unsyable than others ?
Regards.