Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to tell boss: StAY OFF SERVER!

How to tell boss: StAY OFF SERVER!

Brian

You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.

A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
games), download torrents, etc.

How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.

What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
isolated be conveyed?

Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

Noel Paton

news:IMKsg.27029$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
> I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
> knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
>
> A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
> great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
> basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
> help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
> games), download torrents, etc.
>
> How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
> needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't
> fully understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best
> teacher/explainer.
>
> What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
> isolated be conveyed?
>
> Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

Try putting it in cash terms

- point out that the PC is now worth upwards of $20K...does he really want
people playing games on it?

- does he want to spend another $3K every time the server goes down? - which
is likely to be every day???

How much is your data worth? - is it on RAID 5 or better? if not, you WILL
lose data when the system crashes - and the more thrashing it gets because
of local access, the more likely it is to crash.

Servers are a whole different ballgame to clients - maintenance costs are
10x higher, so you need to minimise maintenance.... prime way to do that is
that you only allow remote client access except for pure Admin tasks

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Gordon

news:IMKsg.27029$(E-Mail Removed)...

> What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
> isolated be conveyed?

Convert to a Linux server with no gui. That'll stump him.

Brian

The new software doesn't run on linux. Required windows server.

Great idea, though!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IMKsg.27029$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to
>> be isolated be conveyed?

> Convert to a Linux server with no gui. That'll stump him.

Meat Plow

Tell him to stay the **** off of it.
--
COOSN-266-06-25794

JANA

Let him crash it in a way where it will cost him a lot of money to get it
back up and running!

--

JANA
_____

[...]

Leythos

In article <IMKsg.27029$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
> I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
> knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
>
> A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
> great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
> basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
> help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
> games), download torrents, etc.
>
> How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
> needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
> understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.
>
> What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
> isolated be conveyed?
>
> Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

I agree with another poster, if he's set on allowing someone to use the
server as a workstation, then just let it happen and when it crashes
he'll learn.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Whiskers

On 2006-07-11, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
> I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
> knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
>
> A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
> great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
> basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
> help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
> games), download torrents, etc.
>
> How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
> needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
> understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.
>
> What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
> isolated be conveyed?
>
> Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

Take away the monitor and keyboard attached to the server. The
administrator should be able to access the machine for maintenance by using
telnet or (better) SSH over the network.

--
-- Whiskers