Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > poison ivy

poison ivy

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:59 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>>> I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it
>>> spread to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like
>>> the OP, I had already tried everything on the market that I could get
>>> OC.
>>>
>>> I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
>>> already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
>>> Prednisone is working very well.

>> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

> Someone already posed this:
>
> http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
>
> It grows all around this area........

I've seen it growing wild here...

I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him out.

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:53:39 +0000, Leythos wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local>,
> (E-Mail Removed)l says...
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>>
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>> > I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it
>> > spread to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like
>> > the OP, I had already tried everything on the market that I could get
>> > OC.
>> >
>> > I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
>> > already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
>> > Prednisone is working very well.

>> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

> I tried that for a couple days and it didn't seem to help - it actually
> made the rash/bumps inflamed... I can already see a big difference after 1
> day of taking the Prednisone.

I had an allergic reaction to some meds that caused a bad and itchy rash.
Benedryl really saved my ass. My kid got PI and it really helped him too.
But I guess just like many things, some meds don't work for some people.

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:59 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:
>
>> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

>> Someone already posed this:
>>
>> http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
>>
>> It grows all around this area........

> I've seen it growing wild here...
>
> I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
> However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him
> out.

I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I would
use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were bad enough
to warrant a trip to the doctor.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

Meat Plow

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:11:42 -0400, Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> Someone already posed this:
>>>
>>> http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
>>>
>>> It grows all around this area........

>> I've seen it growing wild here...
>>
>> I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
>> However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him out.

> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.
>
> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I would
> use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were bad enough
> to warrant a trip to the doctor.

I took Meat Jr. to his pedatrician and he recommended the Benedryl and
Aveeno oatmeal. My experience with topical anti-itchy creams is they
provide a far less amount of comfort than a systemic med. Plus the
Benedryl has a sedative effect so it made him sleepy and gave him itch
releif. I itched for a couple weeks after taking some SMZ/TMP and the
Benedryl stopped it completely at first every 4 hours then 6 and finally
once a day.

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:11:42 -0400, Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
>
>> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> I've seen it growing wild here...
>>>
>>> I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
>>> However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him
>>> out.

>> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.
>>
>> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
>> would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
>> bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.
>>

> I took Meat Jr. to his pedatrician and he recommended the Benedryl and
> Aveeno oatmeal.

Oatmeal is very good for soothing the itch. I wasn't thinking about
natural topical remedies.

> My experience with topical anti-itchy creams is they
> provide a far less amount of comfort than a systemic med. Plus the
> Benedryl has a sedative effect so it made him sleepy and gave him itch
> releif. I itched for a couple weeks after taking some SMZ/TMP and the
> Benedryl stopped it completely at first every 4 hours then 6 and
> finally once a day.

My daughter had mycoplasma pneumonia, and she broke out in hives that
nearly drove her insane. It was as if she'd rolled in poison ivy.
There's not much that will send her over the edge, but for this, she
treated us to a meltdown the like of which you've never seen.

She still has some scars from the scratching. The doctor finally gave
her oral steroids, because nothing else worked, and I'm pretty sure she
tried every remedy already mentioned in this thread.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

With Hellman's Mayonnaise on wheat bread.

> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
> would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
> bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.

Here's one for y'all. As a 15-year-old, I got a super case of poison
ivy. There wasn't a square inch left without a rash. (Yes, you needn't
ask.) My eyes, between fingers, and elbow bends were swelling up badly,
and here's what the family doctor recommended: cover all the swelling
parts with cold oatmeal. For the eyes, soak a washcloth in the oatmeal,
fold and cover the eyes.

How did I get such a bad case? A neighbor decided to burn a mess of the
bushes, and I got in the smoke.

In 50 more years, I have never had the stuff.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

W.Henry

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EKOsg.22994$(E-Mail Removed). ..
: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
: (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
: > "W.Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:mcCsg.6340$Ep.5694@trnddc08...
: > > Ok folks, this is serious:
: > > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad
case of
: > > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
: > > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl
helped
: > > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes
back.Anyone
: > > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't
: > > joke
: > > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
: > > Thanks in advance,>
: >
:
: I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
: to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
: had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
:
: I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
: already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
: Prednisone is working very well.

Yeah my wife and daghter got some prednisone and I dunno about the itch
relief but just damn,it has her going from zero to total bitch in less than
60 seconds!
I was however warned ahead of time about that side affect so I'll be
spending more time down at the creek with a fly rod .It's either there or
the tavern.

:
: --
:
: (E-Mail Removed)
: remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos

In article <%8Usg.7397$Zf.5738@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EKOsg.22994$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> : In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> : (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> : > "W.Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : > news:mcCsg.6340$Ep.5694@trnddc08...
> : > > Ok folks, this is serious:
> : > > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad
> case of
> : > > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
> : > > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl
> helped
> : > > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes
> back.Anyone
> : > > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't
> : > > joke
> : > > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
> : > > Thanks in advance,>
> : >
> : > Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
> chicken
> : > pox spots with great effect.
> :
> : I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
> : to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
> : had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
> :
> : I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
> : already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
> : Prednisone is working very well.
>
> Yeah my wife and daghter got some prednisone and I dunno about the itch
> relief but just damn,it has her going from zero to total bitch in less than
> 60 seconds!
> I was however warned ahead of time about that side affect so I'll be
> spending more time down at the creek with a fly rod .It's either there or
> the tavern.

It's not changed anything that anyone can see in my, I'm always a hard-a
$$ type. I would imagine any woman that got PI enough to need medication
would have it in places that would make them real crabby.

For me it would be leaving to go to the range with my rifle for a day of
target shooting - nothing more relaxing to me.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Frosty

On or about Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:56:59 GMT, an entity identified as
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly
proclaimed:

>Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
>
>> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

>With Hellman's Mayonnaise on wheat bread.
>
>> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
>> would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
>> bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.

>Here's one for y'all. As a 15-year-old, I got a super case of poison
>ivy. There wasn't a square inch left without a rash. (Yes, you needn't
>ask.) My eyes, between fingers, and elbow bends were swelling up badly,
>and here's what the family doctor recommended: cover all the swelling
>parts with cold oatmeal. For the eyes, soak a washcloth in the oatmeal,
>fold and cover the eyes.
>
>How did I get such a bad case? A neighbor decided to burn a mess of the
>bushes, and I got in the smoke.
>
>In 50 more years, I have never had the stuff.

Ain't that funny about allergies!

I used to be SO allergic to cats my eyes would puff up 'til closed &
hives would appear everywhere.

So naturally I got a job bathing cats!

Now, 30 years later I can hold any random cat to my face and breath
through the fur. No reaction (except sometimes random cats don't like
to be breathed through.)

Frosty
--
Here kitty, kitty, kitty...where IS that damned cat?
http://www.amystaxidermy.com/pages/cats.htm

Whiskers

On 2006-07-12, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> Now, 30 years later I can hold any random cat to my face and breath
> through the fur. No reaction (except sometimes random cats don't like
> to be breathed through.)
>
> Frosty

Tricky chaps, random cats. Chap called Schroedinger found one in a box
once; caused no end of uncertainty thereafter.

--
-- Whiskers

MSI Z77A-GD65 'Ivy Bridge' Motherboard Preview Becky Front Page News 0 03-02-2012 06:01 PM
Oozing poison AD C++ 65 02-27-2012 04:16 AM
ivy hill snapper case: WHERE? |-- yu-gung DVD Video 2 01-23-2005 07:17 PM
Poison pics show up online: Another MS problem. John Computer Security 5 10-09-2004 01:15 PM
Re: Poison pics show up online: Another MS problem. John E. Carty Computer Security 0 10-04-2004 12:48 AM

Advertisments