Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Migrating Shares and NTFS Permissions from Win2k Server to Win2k3 Server

Migrating Shares and NTFS Permissions from Win2k Server to Win2k3 Server

JustMe

I need to migrate data .AND. shares from a Win2k Server to a Win2k3
Server. I know I can use Robocopy to get the data and the NTFS Folder
permissions but I don't get the shares. I'd prefer not to have to
recreate all the shares on the new server. The share permissions are
all Win defaults as we never apply permissions to the shares but I do
need to get the shares themselves. Any ideas? Veritas Netbackup v8.0
hasn't been successful as the data is on a NAS and NetBackup see's the
NAS as an Advanced Data Server and refuses to copy.

why?

On 10 Jul 2006 05:41:59 -0700, JustMe wrote:

>I need to migrate data .AND. shares from a Win2k Server to a Win2k3
>Server. I know I can use Robocopy to get the data and the NTFS Folder
>permissions but I don't get the shares. I'd prefer not to have to

<snip>

Try the communities, tool skits, notes and migration info
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...k/default.mspx

Of if you hadn't thought of that, hire someone to do it for you.

Me

Blinky the Shark

why? wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2006 05:41:59 -0700, JustMe wrote:
>
>>I need to migrate data .AND. shares from a Win2k Server to a Win2k3
>>Server. I know I can use Robocopy to get the data and the NTFS Folder
>>permissions but I don't get the shares. I'd prefer not to have to

><snip>
>
> Try the communities, tool skits, notes and migration info

Haven't seen a good tool skit since "Home Improvement".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

why?

On 10 Jul 2006 20:34:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>why? wrote:
>>
>> On 10 Jul 2006 05:41:59 -0700, JustMe wrote:
>>
>>>I need to migrate data .AND. shares from a Win2k Server to a Win2k3
>>>Server. I know I can use Robocopy to get the data and the NTFS Folder
>>>permissions but I don't get the shares. I'd prefer not to have to

>><snip>
>>
>> Try the communities, tool skits, notes and migration info

>Haven't seen a good tool skit since "Home Improvement".

LOL, blame yet another new keyboard and going too fast.

Me

JustMe

why? wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2006 05:41:59 -0700, JustMe wrote:
>
> >I need to migrate data .AND. shares from a Win2k Server to a Win2k3
> >Server. I know I can use Robocopy to get the data and the NTFS Folder
> >permissions but I don't get the shares. I'd prefer not to have to

> <snip>
>
> Try the communities, tool skits, notes and migration info
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...k/default.mspx
>
> Of if you hadn't thought of that, hire someone to do it for you.
>
> Me

OK, thanks. I downloaded the whitepaper and will take a look at it.

MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3 Darryl Smith MCSA 13 12-18-2009 03:37 PM
Using win2k3 std r2 32 bit license to install win2k3 std r2 64 bit neo_italy02@yahoo.it Windows 64bit 0 01-22-2008 08:53 PM
WIN2k of Win2K3 TJ MCSE 7 08-06-2004 05:40 PM
MCSE Win2k vs. win2k3 Jimm MCSE 9 04-19-2004 11:40 AM
How to defrag 64kb cluster ntfs disk on win2k adv. server poldi Computer Support 2 04-04-2004 12:46 PM

Advertisments