Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Making an Audio Disk

Help Making an Audio Disk

Jack Gillis

I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.

I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?

Here is what I have done so far.

Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
an Audio CD.

Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

Thank you very much.

bughunter.dustin@gmail.com

Jack Gillis wrote:
> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
>
> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
> into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
> means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
>
> Here is what I have done so far.
>
> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

Which cds?

here, http://hqscene.fatty.dk

If your going to rip cds, you might as well do it the way we do it in
the scene.

> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

Read the site, get the software, if you still have questions, post.

dadiOH

Jack Gillis wrote:
> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area
> for me.
>
> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and
> combine them into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD
> player. I think that means each track would have to be .cda one.
> Is that correct?
>
> Here is what I have done so far.
>
> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to
> Be Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio
> CD. Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are
> all 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
>
> My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited
> to it coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something.
> I use Nero to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the
> first try in making an Audio CD.

WinExplorer shows you what are essentially shortcuts to the songs on the
CD...that's what you copied, not the songs themselves.

What you need to do is copy the songs themselves - the data contained in
each - to your hard drive saving them as wave files. Those wave files can
then be written as an audio CD.

The copying process is known as "ripping". You may be able to do it with
WinXP itself or WMP (don't know, don't use them) but if not you can with
CDex or Audiograbber (or others).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Jack Gillis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Jack Gillis wrote:
>> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for
>> me.
>>
>> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine
>> them
>> into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
>> means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
>>
>> Here is what I have done so far.
>>
>> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
>> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
>> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
>> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

> Which cds?

Do you mean the name of the CD? For the most part they will be Jimmy
Buffett CD's, Banana Wind and Songs We know By Heart plus a few other
artists.

> here, http://hqscene.fatty.dk
>
> If your going to rip cds, you might as well do it the way we do it in
> the scene.
>
>> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
>> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

> Read the site, get the software, if you still have questions, post.

OK, I looked at the site and quickly went to the closet to find my snorkel
gear for I was in over my head.
It seems, from the site, I would wind up with a combined CD of mp3 files
which won't play on my car's built in Radio/CD/Tape gear.

Thanks for your reply. It will lead me to further research.

Margolotta

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:36:21 +0100, Jack Gillis wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
>
> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
> into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
> means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
>
> Here is what I have done so far.
>
> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
>
> My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
> coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
> to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
> an Audio CD.
>
> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
>
> Thank you very much.

One word: - iTunes. Piece of ****. Rip the discs (make sure you have it set
to a lossless format or, if you must use a lossy one, then I suggest you use
MP3 and set it for the highest bitrate you can - 192kbps as a bare minimum.)

Once you've set the format you wish to rip to, then it's just a matter of
sticking the discs in and ripping. The tracks will all rip to the library,
but you can easily set it to group by album and then set up individual
playlists (select the tracks and then choose 'create playlist from selection'
from the tools menu, IIRC - I don't use it on a PC). Then decide whatever you
want to call the compilation, set up a playlist and drag your chosen tracks
to it. Stick a blank disc in the drive and click the 'burn disc' icon in the
top right corner. Done. And it's quick too - I can burn a 20-track disc in
about 2 minutes.

Dirk

> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
>
> Thank you very much.

Jack,

Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
really is.

All you need to do is put in the cd you want to take music from and
using nero select the extract button to copy the music on to your pc.

bughunter.dustin@gmail.com

Dirk wrote:
> > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
> > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
> >
> > Thank you very much.

> Jack,
>
> Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
> really is.

It's not complicated. If he wants to ensure an accurate rip of the
audio track(s), he should be using EAC or CDEX. In secure mode rip...
If he doesn't care if the track skips, pops or wasn't copied right, he
should take your advice. It's quick painless, and has good potential
for errors.

Jack Gillis

"Dirk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
>> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
>>
>> Thank you very much.

> Jack,
>
> Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
> really is.
>
> All you need to do is put in the cd you want to take music from and
> using nero select the extract button to copy the music on to your pc.

Thank you very much.

Sounds good to me except I can't find the extract button. I am using Nero
6.6.1.4. Maybe I need later version?

Dirk

> It's not complicated. If he wants to ensure an accurate rip of the
> audio track(s), he should be using EAC or CDEX. In secure mode rip...
> If he doesn't care if the track skips, pops or wasn't copied right, he
> should take your advice. It's quick painless, and has good potential
> for errors.

Who the hell are you kidding, you don't need all that crap, they are
all "acurate rips". What maybe one in hundred rips would skip, if that.

Jack just extract it and you will have no problems.

Dirk

Jack Gillis wrote:
> Sounds good to me except I can't find the extract button. I am using Nero
> 6.6.1.4. Maybe I need later version?

I don't use nero but it is a unvirsal way doing it. There should be
dorp down menu or something where you would choose where you want to
get the music files from, ie C:, my documents, etc. Select whatever
your cd drive is called amke sure your store bought cd is in the drive
when you do this then there should be an extract button or something
similar to that wording and then you will be able to copy the files.