Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where does the stuff in Recycle Bin go when it is emptied?

Where does the stuff in Recycle Bin go when it is emptied?

Jean-Pierre Gauthier

As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
500kb-2meg range.

I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
dark recesses of my machine.

I imagine that given the huge capacity of today's computers, overload
should not be a problem, still the question begs answering. Over the
years, it all adds up..........?

Thank you,

Jean-Pierre Gauthier
President
Association de généalogie des Familles Gauthier
www.Association-Gauthier.org

dadiOH

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
> lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
> 500kb-2meg range.
>
> I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
> COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
> dark recesses of my machine.

No, it isn't removed from your computer. The only thing that happens when
you delete a file is that the space used by it becomes available. What was
*in* that space (the deleted file data) stays there until the space is
needed and overwritten.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Whiskers

On 2006-07-07, Jean-Pierre Gauthier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
> lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
> 500kb-2meg range.
>
> I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
> COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
> dark recesses of my machine.
>
> I imagine that given the huge capacity of today's computers, overload
> should not be a problem, still the question begs answering. Over the
> years, it all adds up..........?
>
> Thank you,

Ah, one of the great existential questions of the digital age. Right up
there with 'where exactly is my money?'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Jean-Pierre Gauthier

Thank you <dadiOH>!

A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
become overloaded thus the potential for problems.

BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

Thank you,

Jean-Pierre Gauthier
President
Association de généalogie des Familles Gauthier
(E-Mail Removed)

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> Thank you <dadiOH>!
>
> A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
> become overloaded thus the potential for problems.
>
> BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
> problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
> but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
> recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

Yes if it hasn't been overwritten. If it has, you may be able to recover
portions...

DriveRescue
http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/am...cue/index.html

GetDataBack
http://www.runtime.org/

Recover4All
http://www.recover4all.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

geothermal

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:

> As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
> lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
> 500kb-2meg range.
>
> I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
> COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
> dark recesses of my machine.

Hi,

If you are using 10 gigs of a 200 gig hard drive, then there are
programs and computer repair shops that might be able to undelete
files of that size. But if you are using about 190 gigs of a 200 gig
hard drive, then your stuff is being overwritten on a regular basis.

Also if you use defrag on a monthly basis, then that might overwrite
some oor part of the large files.

Best make backup copies of most important stuff and forget the rest
after it is deleted.

geothermal

--
"They gave each other a smile with a future in it.
- Ring Lardner

Frosty

On or about 7 Jul 2006 08:14:37 -0700, an entity identified as
"Jean-Pierre Gauthier" <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly
proclaimed:

>Thank you <dadiOH>!
>
>A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
>become overloaded thus the potential for problems.
>
>BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
>problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
>but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
>recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

If I'm reading your questions correctly, this site has what you are
looking for.

http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe.htm

Frosty
--
"My my, look at the time! I've got to dress formy bridge club!"
"Gee mom, isn't that bridge built yet?"

>Thank you,
>
>Jean-Pierre Gauthier
>President
>Association de généalogie des Familles Gauthier
>(E-Mail Removed)
>www.Association-Gauthier.org

Recycle Bin Does Not Show Any Deleted Files.... SwingingSi Computer Support 7 12-28-2011 06:35 PM
Where do i find the recycle bin? XP PRO with norton protected bin Quiz Time Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 11:13 AM
Folder stuck in Recycle Bin Ivan MCSE 2 08-02-2003 03:08 AM
Re: nortons recycle bin? Ðaz ©. Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 04:34 PM

Advertisments