Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Please help with Wireless Ad Hoc Network

Please help with Wireless Ad Hoc Network

=?Utf-8?B?UmFzaA==?=

Hello,

I have a laptop with 802.11g wireless capabilities and a PC witch can do
both "b" and "g".

The PC is connected to the internet via a USB modem on broadband (256K
broadband). I have tried making a wireless ad hoc network between the two
because I want to use the internet from on the laptop as well as the PC.

I have followed each step from the following web site exactly:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

The laptop and the PC are now connected through wireless although I cant
share the internet. It is still only available on the PC. I have clicked on
"share the interent" option on the PC and it still doesnt work (I dont get
that Internet Gateway option on the laptop)

I have been trying various different combinations of thee settings with no
luck. I have Nortan Firewall 2004 and System Pack 2 on both computers and
both are updated. I have disabled the WIndows Security Centers firewall and
use Nortons on both. I have added the networks on Norton Firewall for both
computers.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone help with this

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

I wrote that several years ago, way before SP2. A couple of things to
try:

1. In the task pane for My Network places, click Show icons for
networked UPnP devices.

2. can you disable Norton while you set this up - Norton may have an
option to allow traffic and sharing on the local subnet only, but I
don't use Norton so can't assist.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?UmFzaA==?=

I cant see the Network Panel when I go to My Network places. Hod do I see it
again?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFzaA==?=

I clicked on Show Upnp icon on the host computer. It installed domething
then nothing happened. The only Icon I see is a Shard Docs icon.

I cant see the Show Upnp icon on my laptop, that panel is not there. How do
I get it on?

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

Start, run
ncpa.cpl [enter]