Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bluetooth Adapter for notebook computer...and bluetooth range?

Bluetooth Adapter for notebook computer...and bluetooth range?

John

A friend has a Compaq Presarion 2210US notebook computer which is not
bluetooth capable. Can anyone suggest a good USB bluetooth adapter
that will give her notebook bluetooth capability?

Also, she wants to install her bluetooth-enabled printer in a room
directly above where she uses her notebook computer. How good is the
bluetooth signal at penetrating through a single floor? The total
distance would probably be 6 or 7 feet to the ceiling and perhaps 8 or
ten feet over in the room above.

Thanks.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>A friend has a Compaq Presarion 2210US notebook computer which is not
|>bluetooth capable. Can anyone suggest a good USB bluetooth adapter
|>that will give her notebook bluetooth capability?

There are lots, I use an AmbiCom which works for me.

|>Also, she wants to install her bluetooth-enabled printer in a room
|>directly above where she uses her notebook computer. How good is the
|>bluetooth signal at penetrating through a single floor? The total
|>distance would probably be 6 or 7 feet to the ceiling and perhaps 8 or
|>ten feet over in the room above.

Bluetooth range is about 10 feet, no obstructions.

--
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/dudefalling.php

Walter Mautner

John wrote:

> A friend has a Compaq Presarion 2210US notebook computer which is not
> bluetooth capable. Can anyone suggest a good USB bluetooth adapter
> that will give her notebook bluetooth capability?
>
> Also, she wants to install her bluetooth-enabled printer in a room
> directly above where she uses her notebook computer. How good is the
> bluetooth signal at penetrating through a single floor? The total
> distance would probably be 6 or 7 feet to the ceiling and perhaps 8 or
> ten feet over in the room above.

There are 2 classes of bluetooth devices, one for about 10m, the other up to
100m (300ft) range. My computer can bluetalk with the cellphone even when
it's in the refrigerator (closed door) and one or 2 floors down the
stairhouse. It's got a MSI bluetooth "dongle" with separate antenna,
however.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

|>10 feet

Ok meters, I'm not used to the metric system :}

--
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LwQnlZIAf...%20Line%20ever

Meat Plow

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:17:43 +0200, Walter Mautner wrote:

> Subject: Re: Bluetooth Adapter for notebook computer...and bluetooth range?
> From: Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:17:43 +0200
>
> John wrote:
>
>> A friend has a Compaq Presarion 2210US notebook computer which is not
>> bluetooth capable. Can anyone suggest a good USB bluetooth adapter
>> that will give her notebook bluetooth capability?
>>
>> Also, she wants to install her bluetooth-enabled printer in a room
>> directly above where she uses her notebook computer. How good is the
>> bluetooth signal at penetrating through a single floor? The total
>> distance would probably be 6 or 7 feet to the ceiling and perhaps 8 or
>> ten feet over in the room above.
>>

> There are 2 classes of bluetooth devices, one for about 10m, the other up to
> 100m (300ft) range. My computer can bluetalk with the cellphone even when
> it's in the refrigerator (closed door)

Why in the name of **** all would you put your ****ing phone in the fridge?

Walter Mautner

Meat Plow wrote:

> Why in the name of **** all would you put your ****ing phone in the
> fridge?

))
Did this just one time to test the waters ....err signal dissipation.