Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Drive Letters XP Pro

Drive Letters XP Pro

Mr User

Hi group

I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB

I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
partition i.e D: from above I assumed.

When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:

While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
is running.

When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
will not allow me to change the drive assignment.

Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

Many thanks

Duane Arnold

Mr User wrote:
> Hi group
>
> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
>
> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>
> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
>
> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
> is running.
>
> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>
> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
>
> Many thanks

I don't think you can change the boot drive letter that XP resides on.

And what's with XP 1 and XP 2? Was not XP 1 good enough?

Duane

Margolotta

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 23:19:55 +0100, Mr User wrote
(in article <fWWqg.87423$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Hi group
>
> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
>
> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>
> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
>
> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
> is running.
>
> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>
> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
>
> Many thanks

I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
same licence twice on the same computer.

And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
partition.

sittingduck

Mr User wrote:

> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
>
> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>
> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
>
> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
> is running.
>
> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>
> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

You won't be able to change the drive letters of the XP partitions. Your
option is to re-install again, or use something like partition magic to
resize the partition that XP 2 is on.

Walter Mautner

Mr User wrote:

> Hi group
>
> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
>
> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>
> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:

The installer of 2nd XP found two already existing drives and didn't know
the letter assignment stored within the registry of #1.

> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
> is running.
>
> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>
> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:

Actrually, yes, at least it's the easiest fix. You cannot change the
assignment of a running system without causing major trouble.
Though it may be possible to open the 2nd XPs registry and edit / change
the "mounted devices" entries, it will confuse the 2nd XP upon next bootup,
since a lot of paths are "hardcoded" when installed, and the OS might not
even able to locate essential binaries later.

remote control

Margolotta wrote:

> I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
> same licence twice on the same computer.
>
> And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
> partition.

Oh, this is rich! I guess Usenet-news got sick enough of the millions
of abuse complaints sent in about your posts! Now you have been banned
from their service and need to use NewsDemon in order to spew your tripe
on usenet. I notice Hogwasher is the client you use, it's quite
appropriate since hogwash is all you post. **** off, bitch. How many
ISPs and usenet services need to ban you before you get the message that
NOONE WANTS YOU HERE!!!

Jim

****. You have plenty of bootlegged software.
http://tinyurl.com/az88m

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) n.com...
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 23:19:55 +0100, Mr User wrote
> (in article <fWWqg.87423$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> Hi group
>>
>> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
>> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E:
>> 170GB
>>
>> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
>> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>>
>> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
>> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
>>
>> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
>> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
>> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
>> is running.
>>
>> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
>> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>>
>> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
>> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
>>
>> Many thanks

> I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install
> the
> same licence twice on the same computer.
>
> And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
> partition.

Mr User

Duane Arnold wrote:
>> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E:
>> 170GB
>>
>> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
>> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.

> I don't think you can change the boot drive letter that XP resides on.
>
> And what's with XP 1 and XP 2? Was not XP 1 good enough?

I use XP1 as the main boot drive and use XP2 as a sand box for trial
software/drivers etc ... Meh it's my ball i'll do what I like with it

Mr User

Walter Mautner wrote:
> Mr User wrote:
>
>> Hi group
>>
>> I partitioned a single drive 8GB, 8GB & 170GB
>> Installed XP Pro 1 on C: Partition the others were given D: 8GB & E: 170GB
>>
>> I then proceeded to install a 2nd copy of XP Pro 2 on the second
>> partition i.e D: from above I assumed.
>>
>> When I eventually booted into XP Pro 2 I noticed it had been allocated
>> the drive letter E: and the 170GB partition letter D:
>>

> The installer of 2nd XP found two already existing drives and didn't know
> the letter assignment stored within the registry of #1.
>
>> While this isn't a huge problem it means when I connect to either of the
>> dual boot versions of XP Pro on the machine over LAN from another PC my
>> storage area of 170GB is named either D: or E: depending on which copy
>> is running.
>>
>> When running XP Pro 2 (E: drive) this is the boot drive and therefore
>> will not allow me to change the drive assignment.
>>
>> Is the only remedy to simply change the assigments in XP Pro 1 i.e. make
>> XP Pro 2 E: and my storage partition D:
>>

> Actrually, yes, at least it's the easiest fix. You cannot change the
> assignment of a running system without causing major trouble.
> Though it may be possible to open the 2nd XPs registry and edit / change
> the "mounted devices" entries, it will confuse the 2nd XP upon next bootup,
> since a lot of paths are "hardcoded" when installed, and the OS might not
> even able to locate essential binaries later.

Thanks that was very helpful. I'll do just that and re-assign the drive
letter of XP1 to match XP2. It's a pain though as I'm currently using
XP1 as the sandbox which will be reinstalled soon and XP2 the problem
installation are my working environment.

Lesson learned.
Cheers mate

Margolotta

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:02:46 +0100, remote control wrote
(in article <e8jbtv$5kv$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Margolotta wrote:
>>
>> I hope you have two licences - it is a violation of the EULA to install the
>> same licence twice on the same computer.
>>
>> And, as Duane says, you cannot change the letter of the active boot
>> partition.
>>

>> --

> Oh, this is rich! I guess Usenet-news got sick enough of the millions
> of abuse complaints sent in about your posts!

Can it, you spineless little maggot! I guess Ngroups investigated (if, indeed
anyone complained) and didn't think the complaints worthy of merit (and,
indeed they weren't because I have done nothing to violate their COS.) No,
the reason I have had to change providers, though why I should be justifying
it to a turd like you, I've absolutely no idea, is because I received the
following in an email from Ngroups: -

"We have for now removed PayPal as a payment option, since we, according to
them, are selling services which are in violation to their service agreement.
PayPal has disabled our account, so subscription payments are failing.
We hope to have a solution to this soon."

And, as I was paying via PayPal (no other choice) I could no longer pay for
my subscription.

So, carry on spreading what ever dirty little rumours you like about them
banning me - the fact of the matter is the only method by which I could pay
was removed so I had no choice but to find another provider. As soon as they
resolve the situation with PayPal, I shall be returning to them as they are
considerably cheaper than NewsDemon.

>Now you have been banned from their service

No, you pustule-ridden cuntflap, I haven't. See above. But do carry on with
the conspiracy theory if it makes you feel any better.

and need to use NewsDemon in order to spew your tripe
> on usenet.

Tripe? So it *IS* possible to change the active drive letter from within XP?
Do, please, enlighten myself, Duane and, most importantly, Microsoft on how
it's done (whilst leaving the drive bootable).

I notice Hogwasher is the client you use, it's quite
> appropriate since hogwash is all you post.

Really? I've not seen you post anything worth reading. In fact, you're just
worthy of kill-filing. If you don't want to read my posts - fine, kill-file
me. But why would you bother - flaming me is the only thing that gives any
meaning to your pathetic and worthless existence.

>**** off, bitch. How many ISPs and usenet services need to ban you

Er, none, actually. I have never been banned from any ISP or NSP that I've
used. Sorry to burst that particular bubble, but it's true. I have had six
ISPs and we have left them all through choice (well, all bar one - and that
was because the company went into liquidation).

AOHELL was the first back in the dim and distant. Left because, well, we
wised up.
iaxnet - went into liquidation
Madasafish - left due to poor service
Virgin - left because we wanted broadband and they weren't offering it at the
time.
Freeserve - left because, frankly, they were charging way too much for a very
poor level of service (29.99pcm for 1Mbit, when other companies were
charging that for 2).
And now Eclipse, with whom we have an 8Mbit service for 29.99pcm and, after
a few teething problems, we are very satisfied.

And I've only ever had one NSP - Ngroups (apart from ND) - and I was forced
to leave for the reason I've stated.

But do keep posting your pathetic little theories, it really is most
entertaining.

>before you get the message that NOONE WANTS YOU HERE!!!

Noone wants me here? Who's he - I've not met him.