Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > thinkpad r40 went weirdo

thinkpad r40 went weirdo

el__marcin@o2.pl

I have a weird problem with my Thinkpad R40. Quite recently the system
started to switch off by itself or freeze (keys strokes do not react).
I have seen famous blue screen for a couple of times too. I ran some
hardware tests - nothing. I reinstalled the whole system (IBM
restore) and ...it happens again. I am thinking virus? well I
reinstalled the system so it should kill the virus ... hardware problem
.... hmm I did some tests but I heard they sometimes do not detect what
you looking for. Has anybody encountered similar problem ? I was
thinking also perhaps RAM after 2 yers of great cooperation..said no
more . I would appreciate any hints you guys can have about what can
be wrong with my lovely thinkpad thanks

thinkpad r40 went weirdo

SgtMinor

> I have a weird problem with my Thinkpad R40. Quite recently the system
> started to switch off by itself or freeze (keys strokes do not react).
> I have seen famous blue screen for a couple of times too. I ran some
> hardware tests - nothing. I reinstalled the whole system (IBM
> restore) and ...it happens again. I am thinking virus? well I
> reinstalled the system so it should kill the virus ... hardware problem
> ... hmm I did some tests but I heard they sometimes do not detect what
> you looking for. Has anybody encountered similar problem ? I was
> thinking also perhaps RAM after 2 yers of great cooperation..said no
> more . I would appreciate any hints you guys can have about what can
> be wrong with my lovely thinkpad thanks
>
> thinkpad r40 went weirdo

Reinstalling the OS, and even reformatting the HD, will not get
rid of all viruses. Your problem could be heat related. Can you
hear the fan running? Do you operate the computer in a dusty
environment, do you have pets? Does the computer sit on a solid
surface when you operate it, so the vent holes are not blocked?
Try opening some of the covers and blow some compressed air
through the thing.

You can see how the R40 can be dissembled, here:
http://www.quepublishing.com/article...&seqNum=3&rl=1

But I'm not suggesting you try it - laptops come apart a helluva
lot easier than they go back together.

el__marcin@o2.pl

> Reinstalling the OS, and even reformatting the HD, will not get
> rid of all viruses.

you assume the virus might hide in one of those preinstalled
partitions, RAM or somewhere else ? if wiping out the hdd does not kill
the virus then we are in bubble ... bubble rubble ... trouble
...what can be done then ?.

>Your problem could be heat related. Can you hear the fan running?

it switches off every now and then... i did not notice the patern
though

>Do you operate the computer in a dusty environment

not really..

> , do you have pets?

nope ..just girlfriend with long lovely hair

> Does the computer sit on a solid surface when you operate it, so the vent holes are not blocked?

nope - mostly on my bed ....no solid surface

> Try opening some of the covers and blow some compressed air
> through the thing.

will do that

> You can see how the R40 can be dissembled, here:
> http://www.quepublishing.com/article...&seqNum=3&rl=1

thanks a lot I will use that thing to guide me thru the process

> But I'm not suggesting you try it - laptops come apart a helluva
> lot easier than they go back together.

R40 is my lovely toy .I will put some heart and time (and lotsa lube)
so I hope I will make it .... wish me luck and I will keep you informed
thanks a lot !!

el__marcin@o2.pl

Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
me a little was the pop up message
I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
on some weird spyware soft...

It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie. whatever
bug that somehow survived the restore...or hide itself
on that restore partition inaccesible for user? I was thinking booting
my PC from regular CD and wiping out all the hard drive
clean..no partition no restore .. please tell me .. does this sound
like a good idea - i would lose the preinstalled soft stored on that
hidden partition ? I seemed to get rid of the problem runing 'msconfig'
and deactivating the 'messaging' whatever it was ...could the pop up
message be activated by windows itself ?
Thanks a lot

SgtMinor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
> problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
> poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
> fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
> notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
> me a little was the pop up message
> I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
> message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
> telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
> on some weird spyware soft...
>
> It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie. whatever
> bug that somehow survived the restore...or hide itself
> on that restore partition inaccesible for user? I was thinking booting
> my PC from regular CD and wiping out all the hard drive
> clean..no partition no restore .. please tell me .. does this sound
> like a good idea - i would lose the preinstalled soft stored on that
> hidden partition ? I seemed to get rid of the problem runing 'msconfig'
> and deactivating the 'messaging' whatever it was ...could the pop up
> message be activated by windows itself ?
> Thanks a lot

Notebooks usually have air intakes on the bottom and need a solid
surface to sit on lest those intakes get blocked.

Windows won't give you any warning about spyware and/or viruses.
That would be admitting the OS's vulnerabilities, and they're not
likely to do that. Be sure to get the latest security updates
from MS however, they're fairly good at fixing the barn door after
the horse has left.

Some good utilities to load onto your system, and use regularly, are:

AVG anti-virus, get the free version: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Malware locators/destroyers:

SpyBot Search and Destroy, (free - but a contribution is
appreciated): http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

AdAware - get the free version:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

ZoneAlarm firewall - get the free version:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Maybe others will have more suggestions. Good luck.

geothermal

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
> problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
> poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
> fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
> notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
> me a little was the pop up message
> I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
> message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
> telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
> on some weird spyware soft...
>
> It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie.

It might be good to look through your cookie folder and delete all the
cookies that you don't know what they are.

geothermal

el__marcin@o2.pl

ok I did that - no spyware any more thanks ...the freezing.rebooting
problems persists thought ...I am suspecting hdd problem ..my thinpad
runs well when I do not touch it .. once I try to unplug some cable/
move it a little it freezes/restarts .. I ran test of HDD several times
and nothing was detected.. do you think the only solution is to replace
the hdd ? perhaps I can mark the bad sectors somehow ..is there some
testing software that could tell me what exactly is wrong with my hard
drive ? will I get this info from the event viewer ? thanks a lot !!