Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing Normal template in Word

Changing Normal template in Word

Karl Engel

What's the "intended" way to change the Normal template in Word? When you
make a change, eg different typeface or font size and try and save it as the
Normal template it says it cannot give the document the same name as an open
document. I've done it the "dirty" way by saving as a different template
name, closing Word, renaming Normal in the Templates file to NormalOLD and
renaming the new template as Normal. While this works, it's a bit
complicated to explain to my semi-computer-literate Dad. Alternatively, is
there an option somewhere to have Word open by default to a different
template than Normal? I'm using Word 97 BTW.

MJP

"Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a9bde3$0$14094$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the "intended" way to change the Normal template in Word? When you
> make a change, eg different typeface or font size and try and save it as

the
> Normal template it says it cannot give the document the same name as an

open
> document. I've done it the "dirty" way by saving as a different template
> name, closing Word, renaming Normal in the Templates file to NormalOLD and
> renaming the new template as Normal. While this works, it's a bit
> complicated to explain to my semi-computer-literate Dad. Alternatively,

is
> there an option somewhere to have Word open by default to a different
> template than Normal? I'm using Word 97 BTW.

In the format menu choose font, set the type that you want and then set as
"default".

MJP