Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I get my taskbar back to single line?

How do I get my taskbar back to single line?

Joe B

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Joe B wrote:
>>
>>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro
>>>
>>> Will someone help.
>>>
>>> This is my current taskbar:
>>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

>> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow. Click
>> and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height. If you
>> drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>>
>> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>> monitor.

>The problem is that the QUICK LAUNCH is on a separate line. See the
>little vertical bars next to the start button? If the OP clicks on the lower
>vertical bar, and drags it right and up next to the quick launch icons, the
>taskbar can then be pulled down in size to normal as you suggested above.
>It may take a little doing - sometimes moving those toolbars around is
>tricky.

Thank You Toolman Tim. At least someone here is not clueless and can
recognize that it wasn't a simple solution, like dragging the taskbar.
Anyway, it's back to normal, thanks again.

Toolman Tim

Joe B wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>>> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow.
>>> Click and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height.
>>> If you drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>>>
>>> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>>> monitor.

>> The problem is that the QUICK LAUNCH is on a separate line. See the
>> little vertical bars next to the start button? If the OP clicks on
>> the lower vertical bar, and drags it right and up next to the quick
>> launch icons, the taskbar can then be pulled down in size to normal
>> as you suggested above. It may take a little doing - sometimes
>> moving those toolbars around is tricky.

> Thank You Toolman Tim. At least someone here is not clueless and can
> recognize that it wasn't a simple solution, like dragging the taskbar.
> Anyway, it's back to normal, thanks again.

You're welcome. I actually sent an answer on Friday night, but my news
server never posted it (and about 10 others.) Eventually, last night I
realized my munged email address was being blocked by them. Big deal. Change
the email address, and I'm back!

Joe B

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:39:14 -0500, "EatMoPie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you press ctrl+esc does you start menu pop up? If it does you may have
>auto-hide enabled.
>

>"Joe B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro
>>
>> Will someone help.
>>
>> This is my current taskbar:
>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

yeah, i can't get the taskbar to go away, might have auto-hide
enabled. Good answer.

Toolman Tim

Toolman Tim wrote:
> EatMoPie wrote:
>> "Joe B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro
>>>
>>> Will someone help.
>>>
>>> This is my current taskbar:
>>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

>> If you press ctrl+esc does you start menu pop up? If it does you may
>> have auto-hide enabled.
>>

> Hey, EatYourOwnPie, the two are unrelated. The ctrl-esc key
> combination has been in use since at least version 3.1 of Windows.
> The hidden icons was new to XP.
>
> Get a clue, you moronic top-posting bozo...

Okay - I "almost" apologize. After re-reading Joe's post, I realize you were
talking about auto-hiding the task bar, not the system tray icons. But I
won't apologize, because if you had a clue, you would have read "two line"
in his post. If he sees two lines, how is his taskbar hidden? Your answer
doesn't apply to the question posed.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe B wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>>> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow.
>>> Click and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height.
>>> If you drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>>>
>>> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>>> monitor.

>> The problem is that the QUICK LAUNCH is on a separate line. See the
>> little vertical bars next to the start button? If the OP clicks on
>> the lower vertical bar, and drags it right and up next to the quick
>> launch icons, the taskbar can then be pulled down in size to normal
>> as you suggested above. It may take a little doing - sometimes
>> moving those toolbars around is tricky.

> Thank You Toolman Tim. At least someone here is not clueless and can
> recognize that it wasn't a simple solution, like dragging the
> taskbar. Anyway, it's back to normal, thanks again.

Clueless? Perhaps if you had posted a full-size graphic, those lines
would have been more evident.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Toolman Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Joe B wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The problem is that the QUICK LAUNCH is on a separate line. See the
>>> little vertical bars next to the start button? If the OP clicks on
>>> the lower vertical bar, and drags it right and up next to the quick
>>> launch icons, the taskbar can then be pulled down in size to normal
>>> as you suggested above. It may take a little doing - sometimes
>>> moving those toolbars around is tricky.

>> Thank You Toolman Tim. At least someone here is not clueless and can
>> recognize that it wasn't a simple solution, like dragging the
>> taskbar. Anyway, it's back to normal, thanks again.

> Clueless? Perhaps if you had posted a full-size graphic, those lines
> would have been more evident.

I actually have my taskbar at work set to two lines high all the time. I'll
often have 10 or 12 apps running, and the extra line gives me better size
buttons on the taskbar.

Plato

Joe B wrote:

> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I

Next time dont install dodgy war3e.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/