Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I get my taskbar back to single line?

How do I get my taskbar back to single line?

Joe B

I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.

Windows XP Pro

Will someone help.

This is my current taskbar:
http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe B wrote:

> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>
> Windows XP Pro
>
> Will someone help.
>
> This is my current taskbar:
> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow. Click
and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height. If you drag
upwards, it will get _really_ tall...

This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
monitor.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Joe B

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:13:39 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Joe B wrote:
>
>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro
>>
>> Will someone help.
>>
>> This is my current taskbar:
>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

>Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow. Click
>and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height. If you drag
>upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>
>This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>monitor.

Yes my mouse is working. That doesn't work. Two is the minimum. I
can make it bigger or make it go away, but no single bar.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe B wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:13:39 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Joe B wrote:
>>
>>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my
>>> taskbar stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a
>>> single line.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro
>>>
>>> Will someone help.
>>>
>>> This is my current taskbar: http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

>> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow.
>> Click and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height.
>> If you drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>>
>> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>> monitor.

> Yes my mouse is working. That doesn't work. Two is the minimum. I
> can make it bigger or make it go away, but no single bar.

Ok, see that little left-facing arrow icon over to the right by the
clock? Grab it and drag it to the left. Looks like you may have stacked
the systray too narrow. I didn't notice that the first time I looked at
your screen shot.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

dadiOH

Joe B wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:13:39 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Joe B wrote:
>>
>>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro
>>>
>>> Will someone help.
>>>
>>> This is my current taskbar:
>>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

>> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
>> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow.
>> Click and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height.
>> If you drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>>
>> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
>> monitor.

> Yes my mouse is working. That doesn't work. Two is the minimum. I
> can make it bigger or make it go away, but no single bar.

If you can't find the place to drag it to size, right click it, select
"Toolbars" and untick any you have. Now there is nothing on it except for
the Start button and the system tray so you should be able to easily resize
it to one line. Next thing is to put back whatever toolbars you want.

--

dadiOH...who never understood why anyone wants a one line taskbar. At the
bottom, yet...

tony p

Just do a system restore to when it was ok.

"Joe B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>
> Windows XP Pro
>
> Will someone help.
>
> This is my current taskbar:
> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

Alan

Joe B wrote:
> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>
> Windows XP Pro
>
> Will someone help.
>
> This is my current taskbar:
> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

Thats not the taskbar, thats the QuickLaunch toolbar. Rightmouse click
on a blank area or it (probably near one of the edges and uncheck
QuickLaunch. and try manipulating the taskbar that way. I've seen this
once before and it wasnt easy...

Toolman Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Joe B wrote:
>
>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro
>>
>> Will someone help.
>>
>> This is my current taskbar:
>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

> Is your mouse working? Place the mouse pointer at the top of the
> taskbar. It will (should) change to a vertical two-header arrow. Click
> and drag the edge of the taskbar downwards, half the height. If you
> drag upwards, it will get _really_ tall...
>
> This technique applies to almost every window you ever see on your
> monitor.

The problem is that the QUICK LAUNCH is on a separate line. See the
little vertical bars next to the start button? If the OP clicks on the lower
vertical bar, and drags it right and up next to the quick launch icons, the
taskbar can then be pulled down in size to normal as you suggested above.
It may take a little doing - sometimes moving those toolbars around is
tricky.

EatMoPie

If you press ctrl+esc does you start menu pop up? If it does you may have
auto-hide enabled.

EatMoPie wrote:
> "Joe B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I installed a new program and it put a searchbar on my taskbar. I
>> don't want it there. In the process of removing it I got my taskbar
>> stuck in the two line mode and I can't get it back to a single line.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro
>>
>> Will someone help.
>>
>> This is my current taskbar:
>> http://chasrein.tripod.com/ts/taskbar.jpg

> If you press ctrl+esc does you start menu pop up? If it does you may
> have auto-hide enabled.

Hey, EatYourOwnPie, the two are unrelated. The ctrl-esc key combination has
been in use since at least version 3.1 of Windows. The hidden icons was new
to XP.

Get a clue, you moronic top-posting bozo...