Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backup program

Backup program

Tass

I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
so much.

Evan Platt

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 GMT, "Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
>Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
>paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
>so much.

I've used Novastor, but the most important question is what are you
backing up to? And what is your skill level with computers?

Tass

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 GMT, "Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
>>Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
>>paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
>>so much.

> I've used Novastor, but the most important question is what are you
> backing up to? And what is your skill level with computers?

I have an extra larger harddrive in the same tower. My skills are limited
but I do my own maintenance and spyware checks etc.

Toolman Tim

Tass wrote:
> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
> use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
> don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
> try first. Thanks so much.

PC-Backup - http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/

I used the predecessor to the above ("Backup MyPC") for years, even when it
was "Veritas Backup". Since I had tape drives at the time, it was an
excellent solution.

EMC Dantz Retrospect - http://www.emcinsignia.com/try/

The Retrospect "Express 7.5" version is probably adequate for most users.
I've not tried this yet, but Western Digital is going to give me a free
copy...thanks to a a class action suit <g>

02befree

How about the Backup program that comes with Windows XP.
Details here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx

"Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
> Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
> paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
> so much.

Toolman Tim

02befree wrote:
> How about the Backup program that comes with Windows XP.
> Details here.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx

Yeah, it's free. But it doesn't have a nice automatic scheduler. I imagine
someone could use Windows task scheduler though...

art2u

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0000, Tass wrote:

> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
> Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
> paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
> so much.

Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

or

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

* A Win95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 utility which runs in command line mode.
* Comes with a 16-bit version (XXCOPY16).
(XXCOPY16.EXE copies files using the short (8.3 format) name only.)
* Duplicates the entire system drive which can boot Win9x (xxtb #10).
* Keeps the same short name (8.3) in the destination as in the source (xxtb #03).
* The source specifier accepts wildcards in directory names also (xxtb #2.
* Backs up directory incrementally without the use of archive bit. (xxtb #06).
* Synchronizes directories (xxtb #20).
* Controls file attributes (keeps the source, destination attributes or none).
* Excludes directories or files from copying by wild cards(xxtb #05).
* Handles a Cyclic Copy case much better than XCOPY (xxtb #07).
* Qualifies files by file date/time (Before, On, or After) (xxtb #17).
* Deletes files or directories using the same powerful selection mechanism (xxtb #12).
* Copies hidden/system files, and overwrites Read-only files.
* Flattens a directory tree into files in one directory (xxtb #16).
* ... and many, many, intimidatingly more ... (over 200 command switches)
* Copies security information for NTFS volume archiving.
* Supersedes Microsoft's ROBOCOPY (xxtb #30).
* Works very much like XCOPY with the same command syntax.
* Available in two flavors; Freeware and Pro Edition (see below).

-Art- (not Art)

Tass

When I got my computer brand new from Futureshop in Canada I got one disc
that was labelled Recovery Disc with contains the operating system (Windows
XP) and essential programs that were loaded on the computer. I did not get
a Windows XP disc. I checked...my computer...all
programs...accessories...system tools...backup--- and it was not there as
the link to the Microsoft site said it would be. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

"02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about the Backup program that comes with Windows XP.
> Details here.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx
>

> "Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
>> Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
>> paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first.
>> Thanks
>> so much.

Tony\(UK\)

"art2u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0000, Tass wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
>> Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
>> paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first.
>> Thanks
>> so much.

One that I use is a little known (but very good) freeware programme called
EZ Backitup from http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php
Although not updated as the author has returned to college, it has served me
well over the years. It has a scheduler built in and is only 1.43Mb.

Hope this helps,

Tony(UK)

Toolman Tim

Tass wrote:
> When I got my computer brand new from Futureshop in Canada I got one
> disc that was labelled Recovery Disc with contains the operating
> system (Windows XP) and essential programs that were loaded on the
> computer. I did not get a Windows XP disc. I checked...my
> computer...all programs...accessories...system tools...backup--- and
> it was not there as the link to the Microsoft site said it would be. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

Quite correct. Most of those discs are compressed images of the hard drive
and do not have what you are looking for.

You could borrow a Windows XP disc from a friend, coworker, family member,
neighbor, etc. long enough to install the backup program. Or you could
probably find a copy on the Internet, like this one:
http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

WARNING: I take no responsibility for the content of the above link or
associated files. Be sure to scan the file with your antivirus software
before using it.