Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC SLOW STARTING UP

PC SLOW STARTING UP

coppernut

Hi,
My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
Thanks.

Old Gringo

coppernut wrote:
> Hi,
> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
> think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
> Thanks.

Lots of variables here:

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Dirk

coppernut wrote:
> Hi,
> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
> think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
> Thanks.

Run a program like adaware to detect and get rid of any spyware that
might be running programs in the background of your starup.

djorourke

I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow all the
time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out everything) with a
restore disc if you got one. dan tulsa 9187476199
"coppernut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L9xog.538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
> think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to
> be.
> Thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

djorourke wrote:

> "coppernut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L9xog.538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do
>> you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it
>> used to be.
>> Thanks.

> [top-posting adjusted]
> I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow all
> the time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out everything)
> with a restore disc if you got one.

Not necessarily. It could be something as simple as that stupid
Windows/Office FindFast program indexing all the time. It could be that
the OP added extra stuff to "load on startup" when it wasn't really
intended. A bit of detective work might be all that is needed.

Given the minimal info that coppernut supplied, your advice is way over
the top.

Coppernut, your startup time has little to do with your connection
method ... unless ... you are starting a network that can't be found
soon enough.

> dan tulsa 918747nnnn

Most people don't post their private phone numbers (or personal email
addresses) for the world to read.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Top

coppernut submitted this idea :
> Hi,
> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a
> problem do you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should
> be quicker, it used to be. Thanks.

To add to what OG and the article he gave the link for, check to
see what you have loading at start up. start ->run -> msconfig

In particular look at what is listed under startup, uncheck what
you don't need. If you are comfortable changing services look
there as well. Another aproach is google for >startup manager<.

Do that before thinking about formatting and reloading windows.
Cure the problem first, otherwise you'll endup doing the same
time after time.

Top

--
Never mind that Man behind the curtin

ellis_jay

djorourke wrote:
> I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow
> all the time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out
> everything) with a restore disc if you got one. dan tulsa 9187476199
> "coppernut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L9xog.538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do
>> you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it
>> used to be.
>> Thanks.

ugggg....

run

crapcleaner
mru blaster

check your services for useless services. What firewall you got? What
virus protection?

google for the
links

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

ProfGene

coppernut wrote:
> Hi,
> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
> think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
> Thanks.

Very often it is spyware that slows a computer down. Run a program like
Spybot and see if that helps matters.