Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to play back audio

Unable to play back audio

SS

I run Windows 98SE (previously Win9. When trying to play audio files I get
the message "Unable to play audio. No sound device detected on your system".
The sound card is onboard with the motherboard but all tests cannot find a
device. I also noted that the modem also cannot be found - could this be a
result of me upgrading to 98SE or a fault in th e motherboard? Everything
else works fine but i cannot play music or use my fax software. The computer
is a quite old Tiny home studio pentium 450

Byers, Jermaine

This could be directly linked to your upgrade. With the older Windows versions (prior to 2000), upgrading from say Windows 95 to 98 often required your to reinstall your hardware drivers because they don't usually carry over from the previous version. This happens specifically if Windows 98SE doesn't have drivers to support the hardware, even if they were working in the previous version.

One way to check is to go to your control panel of Windows and look at the Device Manager. See if either of these devices appear in the list. If they don't, it could be a motherboard setting or a fautly motherboard. If they are there with a big yello question mark, then you'll need to reinstall the software drivers because Windows didn't find anything compatible.

Jermaine Byers

PC Consultant

For quicker help in the future, check out www.byerscomputers.com and click on SupportOnDemand which will provide you the answers you seek without the hassles of newsgroups!!!

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ixrog.80019$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I run Windows 98SE (previously Win9. When trying to play audio files I get
> the message "Unable to play audio. No sound device detected on your system".
> The sound card is onboard with the motherboard but all tests cannot find a
> device. I also noted that the modem also cannot be found - could this be a
> result of me upgrading to 98SE or a fault in th e motherboard? Everything
> else works fine but i cannot play music or use my fax software. The computer
> is a quite old Tiny home studio pentium 450

ProfGene

SS wrote:
> I run Windows 98SE (previously Win9. When trying to play audio files I get
> the message "Unable to play audio. No sound device detected on your system".
> The sound card is onboard with the motherboard but all tests cannot find a
> device. I also noted that the modem also cannot be found - could this be a
> result of me upgrading to 98SE or a fault in th e motherboard? Everything
> else works fine but i cannot play music or use my fax software. The computer
> is a quite old Tiny home studio pentium 450

In order to play sound you must have the correct drivers for the sound
chip. Each motherboard comes with a cd that has the drivers for
everything onboard such as sound or if the video is onboard. If you
don't have the cd you can get the drivers from the internet if you know
the make and model of the motherboard. If you have the drivers and the
sound is not working try removing them, and let windows discover they
are missing and put them back on reboot. Sometimes that will cause the
sound to work. Do the same with the modem if you have the drivers and
they are listed as there in the modem folder, then remove them and let
Windows find the modem and reinstall the drivers.