Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Data Recovery Suggestions

Data Recovery Suggestions

socrtwo

This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery list and
have little clue about it:

What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in the
Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains for several
days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely submerged.

The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my brother will
try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.

SgtMinor

socrtwo wrote:
> This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery list and
> have little clue about it:
>
> What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in the
> Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains for several
> days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely submerged.
>
> The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my brother will
> try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
> know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
> heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.

Until you find a data recovery service, keep in mind these
suggestions from Ontrack regarding water damaged equipment:

"Rain and seawater harm the data stored on hard disk drives, tapes
and other storage devices in two primary ways. First, they cause
electrical damage, which makes data inaccessible to the user.
Secondly, when computer media is submerged in water, water may
leak through the protective seal of the hard drive, spreading dirt
and other contaminants onto the storage area. When users find
their computers submerged in water or buried under rubble, their
first course of action should be to contact a professional data
recovery service. Users should never attempt to operate, clean or
dry storage devices (tapes, floppy disks, hard drives) exposed to
water. Ontrack Data Recovery operates data recovery labs equipped
with clean rooms expressly for that purpose.

Ontrack recommends that computer users fearing loss of their vital
information review the following tips before assuming that the
damage is permanent:

* Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it
has been through;
* Do not shake, disassemble or attempt to clean any hard
drive or server that has been damaged;
* Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or
exposing it to heat - such as that from a hairdryer;
* Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices;
* For mission critical situations, contact a data recovery
professional before any attempts are made to reconfigure,
reinstall or reformat."

http://www.ontrack.com/newsreleases/...ssRelease=4304

It may seem odd but after a flood the best thing to do with many
items you want to save is to keep them submerged. Photographs
often get ruined by people who let everything dry up and then pry
the prints off of one another. All they would need to do is soak
everything in a bathtub and the pictures will separate and can
then be rinsed and dried.

socrtwo

SgtMinor wrote:
> socrtwo wrote:
> > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery list and
> > have little clue about it:
> >
> > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in the
> > Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains for several
> > days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely submerged.
> >
> > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my brother will
> > try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
> > know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
> > heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.
> >

> Until you find a data recovery service, keep in mind these
> suggestions from Ontrack regarding water damaged equipment:
>
> "Rain and seawater harm the data stored on hard disk drives, tapes
> and other storage devices in two primary ways. First, they cause
> electrical damage, which makes data inaccessible to the user.
> Secondly, when computer media is submerged in water, water may
> leak through the protective seal of the hard drive, spreading dirt
> and other contaminants onto the storage area. When users find
> their computers submerged in water or buried under rubble, their
> first course of action should be to contact a professional data
> recovery service. Users should never attempt to operate, clean or
> dry storage devices (tapes, floppy disks, hard drives) exposed to
> water. Ontrack Data Recovery operates data recovery labs equipped
> with clean rooms expressly for that purpose.
>
> Ontrack recommends that computer users fearing loss of their vital
> information review the following tips before assuming that the
> damage is permanent:
>
> * Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it
> has been through;
> * Do not shake, disassemble or attempt to clean any hard
> drive or server that has been damaged;
> * Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or
> exposing it to heat - such as that from a hairdryer;
> * Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices;
> * For mission critical situations, contact a data recovery
> professional before any attempts are made to reconfigure,
> reinstall or reformat."
>
> http://www.ontrack.com/newsreleases/...ssRelease=4304
>
> It may seem odd but after a flood the best thing to do with many
> items you want to save is to keep them submerged. Photographs
> often get ruined by people who let everything dry up and then pry
> the prints off of one another. All they would need to do is soak
> everything in a bathtub and the pictures will separate and can
> then be rinsed and dried.

Thanks much, great response.

Top

socrtwo brought next idea :
> This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery
> list and have little clue about it:

> What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in
> the Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains
> for several days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely
> submerged.

> The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my
> brother will try to dry out the hard disk and see if things
> work, but if not...I know about Ontrack and like their
> software, but the only thing I've heard about data recovery
> from hardware, wasn't so positive.

I don't know any companies myself but let me say the neighbor
should be in good shape. I've seen hd's that have been under
water as a result of flooding that came through in good shape. A
friend on the Atlantic shores had several PC's under water. The
computers themselves were in bad shape but the HDs didn't lose
any data. I've seen keyboards that after a good cleaning were
functional.

Good luck,
Top

--
Never mind that Man behind the curtin

worldcup2012@googlemail.com

Hi,

I have used www.retrodata.co.uk in the past and they have been
excellent. They do a service for individuals which is really handy.
Really well priced aswell. They do international stuff (I am in Italy)
and I sent drive on Monday, and got drive and data back on Wednesday
evening!

WC
Top wrote:
> socrtwo brought next idea :
> > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery
> > list and have little clue about it:

> > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in
> > the Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains
> > for several days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely
> > submerged.

> > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my
> > brother will try to dry out the hard disk and see if things
> > work, but if not...I know about Ontrack and like their
> > software, but the only thing I've heard about data recovery
> > from hardware, wasn't so positive.

> I don't know any companies myself but let me say the neighbor
> should be in good shape. I've seen hd's that have been under
> water as a result of flooding that came through in good shape. A
> friend on the Atlantic shores had several PC's under water. The
> computers themselves were in bad shape but the HDs didn't lose
> any data. I've seen keyboards that after a good cleaning were
> functional.
>
> Good luck,
> Top
>
> --