Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Diagnose connection problem

Diagnose connection problem

02befree

This problem has been happening about once a week.
I have an RCA cable modem using Comcast connected to a Dlink DI 604 router.
I will lose my connection and when I run ipconfig I have a valid IP address
and the modem lights show good connection.. I restart the modem, router,
etc. and still nothing. When I connect to the modem directly I have a good
connection. Changed the ethernet cable between the modem and router, no
change. Ran the setup wizard on the Dlink and no results. The status shows
no WAN addess and says DHCP disconnected.

Mike Easter

02befree wrote:
> This problem has been happening about once a week.
> I have an RCA cable modem using Comcast connected to a Dlink DI 604
> router. I will lose my connection and when I run ipconfig I have a
> valid IP address and the modem lights show good connection.. I
> restart the modem, router, etc. and still nothing. When I connect to
> the modem directly I have a good connection. Changed the ethernet
> cable between the modem and router, no change. Ran the setup wizard
> on the Dlink and no results. The status shows no WAN addess and says
> DHCP disconnected.

Sometimes a router's firmware will go funky. When mine did, the LED
indicated a problem.

I flashed the firmware and everything was OK again.

Dlink has a troubleshooting section for the router at their site and
access to firmware upgrades.
http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp Please select your
revision of the DI-604

--
Mike Easter

02befree

Switched routers to a wireless Dlink and same problem. Ran wizard again.
Restarted again. It started working.
Are there imcompatabilities between routers and modems???

"02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This problem has been happening about once a week.
> I have an RCA cable modem using Comcast connected to a Dlink DI 604

router.
> I will lose my connection and when I run ipconfig I have a valid IP

address
> and the modem lights show good connection.. I restart the modem, router,
> etc. and still nothing. When I connect to the modem directly I have a

good
> connection. Changed the ethernet cable between the modem and router, no
> change. Ran the setup wizard on the Dlink and no results. The status

shows
> no WAN addess and says DHCP disconnected.

02befree

Thanks. I'll check the lights again on it.

news:44a17466$0$16375$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...