Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting DLink ADSL modem with LinkSys router

Connecting DLink ADSL modem with LinkSys router

Gordon

The Old Sourdough wrote:

> Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> snip
>>
>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
>> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
>> modem.
>>

> Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my ADSL
> modem.

Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

Seatoller

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:45:46 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>
>> Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
>>> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
>>> modem.
>>>

>> Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my ADSL
>> modem.
>>

> Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

Mine's a combined Draytek router/modem.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a DLink ADSL modem 302-T. When I connect it to my laptop running
> Wndows XP, the following way:
> 1. IP address and DNS are acquired automatically
> 2. The defult address of the modem is 192.168.1.1
> 3. When i check ipconfig on my laptop it gives me the Wan address,
> eventhough the DHCP is enabled on the modem.
>
> However, it works fine.
>
> Now, I also have a LinkSys BEFW11S4 Access Point router with 4 port
> router. I like to use it "WIRED" not "WIRELESS", when i do the
> following settings;
> 1. IP Address and DNS are acquired automatically
> 2. The default address of the Router is also 192.168.1.1 (but i changed
> it to .2)
> 3. The modem is connected to the router via WAN Port.
>
> IT DOES NOT WORK, i tried changing the setting, eg: changing entring
> the ip address and DNS address manually. but nothing works.
> Please Help.
> Thank you.

Change the IP of the Linksys to 192.168.y.1 where y is 0, or between
2 and 255 inclusive.

Restart the router.

Release and renew the IP on your PC.

That SHOULD take care of it.

RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
> modem.

This be big news to a hella lot of folks.

Unless you mean a router/modem combo - which is what most of the UK
vendors sell.

On this side of the pond, the modem is one, the router the other,
unless the ISP supplies a combo unit.

RwP

The Old Sourdough

Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>
>> Gordon mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually
>>> is a ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't
>>> need the modem.
>>>

>> Tell that to my router, which functions quite well connected to my
>> ADSL modem.
>>

> Well my router doesn't NEED a modem......so there!

Because it's a combination router/modem.

--
The Old Sourdough
I used to like political jokes until so many of them got elected.

Gordon

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> ADSL modems don't work with routers AFAIK - if the Linksys actually is a
>> ROUTER, then connect that directly to your ADSL line, you don't need the
>> modem.

> This be big news to a hella lot of folks.
>
> Unless you mean a router/modem combo - which is what most of the
> UK
> vendors sell.
>
> On this side of the pond, the modem is one, the router the other,
> unless the ISP supplies a combo unit.
>
> RwP

A people split asunder with common IT components!