Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Lights out!

OT: Lights out!

Ken Briscoe

So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just shuts
down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers, everything. And
apparently, the building has no generator. Was out for under 5
minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric company (wasn't me
on the phone), we're under the impression that it could be this sunspot
nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I was under the impression that
this was only going to affect extreme northern and southern latitudes. I'm
in Boston...not too extreme. Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything
strange from this?

OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get back to
work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers and waste time
on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're told to. Not that I'm
complaining...)

--

KB - MCNGP #26

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

Ken Briscoe wrote:
> So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just
> shuts down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers,
> everything. And apparently, the building has no generator. Was out
> for under 5 minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric
> company (wasn't me on the phone), we're under the impression that it
> could be this sunspot nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I
> was under the impression that this was only going to affect extreme
> northern and southern latitudes. I'm in Boston...not too extreme.
> Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything strange from this?
>
> OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get
> back to work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers
> and waste time on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're
> told to. Not that I'm complaining...)

I'm sorry, it was me. I had inadvertantly kicked a plug out of a socket,
and proceded to then spill my coffee when I fell.

Apparently this caused a blackout in the northeast for about five minutes,
which is kind of strange, since I'm in Florida, but I've already put the
plug back in and everything seems fine now.

--
Fris "Carry on" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Politician Spock

I am going to blame everything on the sunspot. "Can't logon, huh?.... It's
because of the sunspot!"

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just shuts
> down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers, everything. And
> apparently, the building has no generator. Was out for under 5
> minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric company (wasn't

me
> on the phone), we're under the impression that it could be this sunspot
> nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I was under the impression

that
> this was only going to affect extreme northern and southern latitudes. I'm
> in Boston...not too extreme. Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything
> strange from this?
>
> OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get back

> work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers and waste

time
> on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're told to. Not that

I'm
> complaining...)
>
> --
>
> KB - MCNGP #26

NEW NAME, OLD GUY

why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark for that
long?

"Frisbee® MCNGP" <bhilemanATdasiDASHsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken Briscoe wrote:
> > So, we're sitting here minding our own business, and everything just
> > shuts down. Lights (my office has no windows!), computers,
> > everything. And apparently, the building has no generator. Was out
> > for under 5 minutes....but after being on the phone with the electric
> > company (wasn't me on the phone), we're under the impression that it
> > could be this sunspot nonsense that's supposed to hit Earth today. I
> > was under the impression that this was only going to affect extreme
> > northern and southern latitudes. I'm in Boston...not too extreme.
> > Anyways, has anyone else noticed anything strange from this?
> >
> > OK, had to do something while we were waiting for "clearance" to get
> > back to work. (I'm dead serious. We can sit in front of our computers
> > and waste time on the internet, but we can't do any work until we're
> > told to. Not that I'm complaining...)

> I'm sorry, it was me. I had inadvertantly kicked a plug out of a socket,
> and proceded to then spill my coffee when I fell.
>
> Apparently this caused a blackout in the northeast for about five minutes,
> which is kind of strange, since I'm in Florida, but I've already put the
> plug back in and everything seems fine now.
>
> --
> Fris "Carry on" bee® MCNGP #13
>
> http://www.mcngp.tk
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Kendal Emery

I like that excuse...... I think I will use it today.

"Can't get your excel spreadsheet to work right" Sunspot
"Printer is not printing" Sunspot
"Impotent" Sunspot

Hey, it's a catch-all

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"Politician Spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am going to blame everything on the sunspot. "Can't logon, huh?.... It's
> because of the sunspot!"
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.

NEW NAME, OLD GUY wrote:
> why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark
> for that long?

It was a Starbucks Americano I spilled! For God's Sake man! Some people
cry when they spill their beer. I cry when I spill my Starbucks Americano.

--
Fris "It took 5 minutes to suck it up with a straw" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Ken Briscoe

> why it take 5 minutes to plug back? What was you doing in the dark for
that
> long?

Yeah, Fris, what was you doing in the dark for that long? What couldn't wait
until you got home?

--

KB - MCNGP #26

Ken Briscoe

> "Can't get your excel spreadsheet to work right"
> "Printer is not printing"
> "Impotent"

Being in IT can be thankless work sometimes, but somebody's got to fix the
problems that arise. Or, um, don't - as the case may be.

--

KB - MCNGP #26

Ken Briscoe

> Being in IT can be thankless work sometimes, but somebody's got to fix the
> problems that arise. Or, um, don't - as the case may be.

Having re-read that...maybe I should just clarify...
Just for the record, don't ask. I'm not. Not that there's anything wrong
with that. There, I feel better now.

--

KB - MCNGP #26

Glenn