Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pop up + disconnection

pop up + disconnection

zerostress

My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has recently
started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an incoming call",
she is then disconnected. We have checked start up folder (empty),
disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop, run anti-virus
check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took system right back
to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut off. Seems to me that it
is something on her system. Has anybody got any ideas please ?

--
regards zerostress

### stress is a self-inflicted injury ###

BOTBAIT
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

old man

perhaps its as simple as call waiting?

"zerostress" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has recently
> started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an incoming call",
> she is then disconnected. We have checked start up folder (empty),
> disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop, run anti-virus
> check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took system right back
> to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut off. Seems to me that it
> is something on her system. Has anybody got any ideas please ?
>

> --
> regards zerostress
>
> ### stress is a self-inflicted injury ###
>
> BOTBAIT
> (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Whiskers

On 2006-06-25, zerostress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has recently
> started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an incoming call",
> she is then disconnected. We have checked start up folder (empty),
> disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop, run anti-virus
> check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took system right back
> to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut off. Seems to me that it
> is something on her system. Has anybody got any ideas please ?

Sounds like something to do with the 'call waiting' facility in the 'V92'
dial-up settings. See if the modem driver or 'internet connection'
software has a setting to disable that feature. There may be an icon in
the 'System Tray' related to 'call waiting' or some such description.

The recent changes in Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange may have included an upgrade
to the modems in use at the ISP's end of the internet connection so that
the 'call waiting' part of the V92 standard is now supported, or partly
supported, whereas it wasn't before. Possibly without the ISP noticing.
Or the modem driver on your sister's computer may have been updated.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Daave

> "zerostress" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has recently
>> started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an incoming call",
>> she is then disconnected. We have checked start up folder (empty),
>> disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop, run anti-virus
>> check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took system right back
>> to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut off. Seems to me that it
>> is something on her system. Has anybody got any ideas please ?

Then old man top-posted:
> perhaps its as simple as call waiting?

Call waiting causes pop-ups?

--
Dave

Evan Platt

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:41:12 GMT, "Daave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Call waiting causes pop-ups?

The OP stated the pop up is "you have ignored an incoming call".

Yes, some modems can do that.

zerostress

zerostress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has
> recently started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an
> incoming call", she is then disconnected. We have checked start up
> folder (empty), disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop,
> run anti-virus check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took
> system right back to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut
> off. Seems to me that it is something on her system. Has anybody
> got any ideas please ?

Thanks for your help. I will check for an updated modem driver. I
will also try and find a new modem "string" on the internet. As its
an internal modem I will have to get her to dig out the innstrustions
or check packard Bell website.
Thanks Again.

--

zerostress wrote:
> zerostress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> My sister is on dial-up with freeserve (now orange) and has
>> recently started to get a pop-up saying "you have ignored an
>> incoming call", she is then disconnected. We have checked start up
>> folder (empty), disabled/removed non essentials with start up cop,
>> run anti-virus check, ad-aware, + spybot and in desperation took
>> system right back to factory settings. Still getting pu + cut
>> off. Seems to me that it is something on her system. Has anybody
>> got any ideas please ?
>>

> Thanks for your help. I will check for an updated modem driver. I
> will also try and find a new modem "string" on the internet. As its
> an internal modem I will have to get her to dig out the innstrustions
> or check packard Bell website.
> Thanks Again.

Try here:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/