Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing the motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling windows?

Changing the motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling windows?

Seatoller

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:54:26 -0700, Dan Evans wrote:

> "Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:41:44 +0200, Dan Evans wrote:
>>

>>> "Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed) u...

>>> Didn't happen here.

>> Here is what Microsoft has to say:
>>
>> ´An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a ´new
>> personal computer¡ to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software
>> cannot be transferred from another computer.

> It must have been my imagination, then, when I changed the Biostar MB for
> an Asus (owing to the Biostar board crashing almost hourly) and XP
> validated without any problems.

Tell it to M$, I don't have any such problems/worries with the OS I use.

thanatoid

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:44a59db7$0$7145$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:41:44 +0200, Dan Evans wrote:
>>

>>> "Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed) u...

>>> Didn't happen here.

>> Here is what Microsoft has to say:
>>
>> ´An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in
>> a ´new personal computer¡ to which Microsoft® OEM
>> operating system software cannot be transferred from
>> another computer.

> It must have been my imagination, then, when I changed the
> Biostar MB for an Asus (owing to the Biostar board crashing
> almost hourly) and XP validated without any problems.
>
> Dan

The above scenario is just one of the hundreds of reasons XP let
alone Vista, "the best and safest Windows ever" (sound
familiar?) will never crawl into my computers.

So, not having had the "personal" XPrience, all I can guess is
that possibly the "validation programs" used by M$ work as well
as the rest of their products. (The phrase "intermittently
acceptably" comes to mind...)

Anyway, since when has ANYTHING M$ says about anything they
do had any foundation in truth or reality?

People REALLY needs to read and think a little bit about the
information in the links in Au79's posts. The recent few were
priceless.

Dan Evans

"Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) u...
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:41:44 +0200, Dan Evans wrote:
>

>> "Seatoller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>
>>> IIRC MS say that if he changes the mobo, he would have to /buy/ another
>>> licence?

>> Didn't happen here.

> Here is what Microsoft has to say:
>
> ´An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a ´new personal
> computer¡ to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be
> transferred from another computer.

It must have been my imagination, then, when I changed the Biostar MB for an
Asus (owing to the Biostar board crashing almost hourly) and XP validated
without any problems.

Dan

Dan Evans

news:7iEog.173$(E-Mail Removed)...

> However, that's only my opinion - and it's worth about as much as the dog
> fuzz on my carpet (he's shedding an UNBELIEVABLE amount right now!)

I gave mine a hosing down last weekend, bunged on conditioner, then
wirebrushed them whilst still wet. I got a rug off of each of them, then a
couple of lose fur free days, and very little since then.

Dan