Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing the motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling windows?

Reply
Thread Tools

Changing the motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling windows?

 
 
Ron Martell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
Seatoller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>IIRC MS say that if he changes the mobo, he would have to /buy/ another
>licence? Thank goodness we don't have to put up with that sh*t in linux.
>Makes you wonder just /who's/ machine it is...
>


If the Windows XP is a BIOS Locked OEM version then that would be the
case. With these particular OEM versions (which includes most if not
all of the major manufacturers) the hardware and the Windows license
are considered a package deal that cannot be separated. And the
motherboard is considered to be the key component in the package.

Note that not all OEM versions are BIOS locked.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
has never been in bed with a mosquito."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bughunter.dustin@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006

Walter Mautner wrote:

> Due to the change in mobo drivers, maybe the system partition is recognized
> as a new one (GUID of partition changes, but the old one is kept in
> registry) and gets assigned another driveletter. Which alone would give
> enough grief ... but then, winlogon is "hardcoded" to c: or whatever the
> first install was on, and logon is impossible. One more reason to try out
> linux.


Changing the mainboard chipset is usually what causes the reboot cycle.
And it's usually due to the HAL drivers, as kman and others already
mentioned. A repair install of windows will usually correct this,
however.

I wouldn't recommend trying out linux simply because he changed out
some hardware. Linux has it's purposes, sure, but not everybody is a
linux or die person.

> Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Almost unpredictable.


No. It's a computer running known software, it is predictable, and
often easily remedied.

> As you grow older, enough women are here to please you ... when changing
> diapers once again, at l(e)ast.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bughunter.dustin@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006

John Holmes wrote:
> "contributed" in alt.os.windows-xp:


> You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of
> horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue
> mating dance, you clueless ****.


Which poor school kid did you force to help you write that nonsense?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:38:50 -0700, bughunter.dustin wrote:

>
> John Holmes wrote:
>> "contributed" in alt.os.windows-xp:

>
>> You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of
>> horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue
>> mating dance, you clueless ****.

>
> Which poor school kid did you force to help you write that nonsense?


He borrowed yours.
--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
bughunter.dustin@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006

Julie wrote:

> You obviously don't know anything about the many exceptions that make the OP
> false. You're showing your ignorance too by supporting the OP in your
> _attempt_ to embarrass K-Man. You're the fool here.


The many exceptions? Your able to list them, I assume?

I wasn't interested in all of the OP's post, only his question about
whether or not windows XP will do the reinstall or crash and burn on
him, since we already know it didn't crash and burn, I find myself
failing to see the point of your post?

As far as ignorance that I'm showing, please show evidence of this
claim, and the many exceptions where the original poster is wrong; And
please don't bother with the one where he's calling the chip on the
mainboard a card, ok? We all saw that.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Julie wrote:
>
>> You obviously don't know anything about the many exceptions that
>> make the OP false. You're showing your ignorance too by supporting
>> the OP in your _attempt_ to embarrass K-Man. You're the fool here.

>
> The many exceptions? Your able to list them, I assume?


Yes.

>
> I wasn't interested in all of the OP's post,


Then, shut the **** up.



 
Reply With Quote
 
bughunter.dustin@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006

Julie wrote:

> > The many exceptions? Your able to list them, I assume?

>
> Yes.


Hah, you need a personal invitation to do so? LoL!

> >
> > I wasn't interested in all of the OP's post,

>
> Then, shut the **** up.


*yawn* Why don't you take your own advice, it's not like your good for
much.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rebecca
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Julie wrote:
>
>>> The many exceptions? Your able to list them, I assume?

>>
>> Yes.

>
> Hah, you need a personal invitation to do so? LoL!
>
>>>
>>> I wasn't interested in all of the OP's post,

>>
>> Then, shut the **** up.

>
> *yawn* Why don't you take your own advice, it's not like your good for
> much.


I understood the OP, you don't. Admission that you can't read nor comprehend
the OP is noted.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
Rebecca wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Julie wrote:
>>
>>>> The many exceptions? Your able to list them, I assume?
>>>
>>> Yes.

>>
>> Hah, you need a personal invitation to do so? LoL!
>>
>>>>
>>>> I wasn't interested in all of the OP's post,
>>>
>>> Then, shut the **** up.

>>
>> *yawn* Why don't you take your own advice, it's not like your good
>> for much.

>
> I understood the OP, you don't. Admission that you can't read nor
> comprehend the OP is noted.


Same here. Dustbin can't understand why the post deserved a laugh, so he
flails around trying to accuse everyone else of being wrong. We know who is
wrong tho...














 
Reply With Quote
 
bughunter.dustin@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006

Rebecca wrote:

> I understood the OP, you don't. Admission that you can't read nor comprehend
> the OP is noted.


You really need to cut back on the crack.. it's affecting whats left of
you.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Changing IDE to SATA drive without reinstalling/repairing OS chuckcar Computer Support 0 01-19-2010 03:13 PM
Reinstalling programs after reinstalling Windows XP Pro Rock Gibbons Computer Support 20 03-27-2007 05:34 PM
Beginners Guides: Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-23-2005 04:14 PM
FF/TB Question After Changing MotherBoard + Reinstalling Win2K Herb Firefox 1 12-03-2005 05:43 PM
WinXP: upgrading hard drive without reinstalling Windows John Smith NZ Computing 9 10-29-2003 10:51 PM



Advertisments