Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Possibility to add a zip-file to a new zip-file with "add to zip" (right-click) ??

Possibility to add a zip-file to a new zip-file with "add to zip" (right-click) ??

erikkie@casema.nl

Hello

does anyone know how I can get the option "add to zip" to the
right-click-menu when right-clicking on a zip-file to add it to a new
zip-file
Winzip seems to surpress this entry when right-clicking on a file that
is already a zip-file (for obvious reasons)

The reason for it - because what I want may sound pretty strange - it
is not to compress the file even more (that probably won't be possible)

The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
(adding comments is a feature in winzip)
The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)

Anyone?

Thanks!!
Erik

Walter Mautner

> The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
> (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
> The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
> is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
> machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
> as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)

You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
think it will digest a comment?

erikkie@casema.nl

Walter Mautner wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
> > (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
> > The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
> > is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
> > machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
> > as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)
> >

> You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
> new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
> think it will digest a comment?

Hi Walter

thanks for your reply
No, I do not think this. This IS actually the reason for zipping it a
second time. The second zip-file will hold the comment, not the first
(being the one inside the second)

In other words: The reason for zipping it a second time is just to
store it with a comment together with other backup-files (to be able to
distinguish the backups from one another).
When I want to put it back in the machine, I unpack it so the orig.
zip-file appears (without a comment). This zip-file will be fed to the
machine

Erik

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Walter Mautner wrote:

>> You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
>> new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
>> think it will digest a comment?
>>

> Hi Walter
>
> thanks for your reply
> No, I do not think this. This IS actually the reason for zipping it a
> second time. The second zip-file will hold the comment, not the first
> (being the one inside the second)

Ah, I misunderstood your "adding" the 2nd zip file ...

> In other words: The reason for zipping it a second time is just to
> store it with a comment together with other backup-files (to be able to
> distinguish the backups from one another).
> When I want to put it back in the machine, I unpack it so the orig.
> zip-file appears (without a comment). This zip-file will be fed to the
> machine

Then the "add to zip ..." extension would not do what you want. I guess
using a cmd to rename the extension, then using winzip to again zip it with
a comment (also explaining how to rename back) should do the trick.

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> does anyone know how I can get the option "add to zip" to the
> right-click-menu when right-clicking on a zip-file to add it to a new
> zip-file

Depends on the packing app. you have installed.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/