Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > W2K3 Help

W2K3 Help

Craig Henning

This is unrelated to exams... Sorry for that...

Please reply to the question within the newsgroup. I
cannot give out my e-mail add. here.

I am looking for people who may be experiencing a
possible 'bug' in W2K3 when used as a member server in an
NT4 domain. This will be a precursor to opening a support
incident with MS if necessary.

Here is the situation...
- We are still in the dark ages of NT4 as our NOS...We
have no active directory controllers of any kind (yet).
- I am a domain admin in the NT4 accounts domain.
- I have a W2K3 system loaded as a member server and its
machine account exists in the NT 4 domain.
- When I log into the local admin account, or any acount
from the machine's local SAM everything works fine.
- When I log into the NT4 domain using my admin account
the system recognizes my credentials as a DA and I can
adminstrate the machine.
* Here's the problem: When I use the menus, any menu
(Start button, drop down from app, etc.) as soon as I
hover over a menu item that has a submenu the menus hang,
explorer.exe consumes 100% of the CPU and the system no
longer responds. It may hang for 10 secs, it may hang
until I force a logoff with ctrl-alt-del, at which time I
get End Task popups from Explorer.exe. It is so bad that
the task manager cannot even track the CPU utilization
while the desktop is hung.

Here is what I have tried...
1) Reloaded W2K3 (cuz I thought it might be a bad patch).
A fresh load of W2K3 has this problem right out of the box
on this system.
2) Moved HDD to a different system with same HW (to
eliminate the possiblility of a HW problem.
3) Reduced the settings for performance so that no bells
and whistles are on for the desktop (no sliding, no
fading, etc.)
4) Reverted to classic views on all folders (interestingly
that helps the start menus to behave but not the
application or context menus.)
5) Installed all hardware/software vendor-specific patches
and upgrades available from 'The New HP'.
6) Contacted HP T/S for known errata and to verify support
for this hardware platform running W2K3. It is supported
and verified to be operational by HP T/S.
7) Applied all available MS Patches for W2K3.
Searched Technet to no avail.

Member servers running Windows 2000 Server do not have
this problem.

Member Workstations with WinXP do not have this problem
(same interfaces and menus as W2K3).

There are no applications running, nor any Antivirus
Utilities loaded.

Hardware specifics:
Running on a Compaq ML370 server. BIOS updated to most
current.
No RAID or anything fancy with the architecture.
Primary HDD is 18GB, split 8/10 to C and D. D is a logical
drive in an extended partition.
Mirrored 36GB HDDs as F
All drives are 10K RPM U3 SCSI

diamond geza

I doubt if you will get any help from this group, most of them are paper
mcse's and so won't have a clue what your talking about. Having an mcse
doesn't mean you know anything about windows software or networking etc.

You might find more luck by logging onto the news.microsoft.com news server
and posting your question there on one of the windows server groups like
microsoft.public.windows.server.general

"Craig Henning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0b5c01c39a36$a9581760$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is unrelated to exams... Sorry for that...
>
> Please reply to the question within the newsgroup. I
> cannot give out my e-mail add. here.
>
> I am looking for people who may be experiencing a
> possible 'bug' in W2K3 when used as a member server in an
> NT4 domain. This will be a precursor to opening a support
> incident with MS if necessary.
>
> Here is the situation...
> - We are still in the dark ages of NT4 as our NOS...We
> have no active directory controllers of any kind (yet).
> - I am a domain admin in the NT4 accounts domain.
> - I have a W2K3 system loaded as a member server and its
> machine account exists in the NT 4 domain.
> - When I log into the local admin account, or any acount
> from the machine's local SAM everything works fine.
> - When I log into the NT4 domain using my admin account
> the system recognizes my credentials as a DA and I can
> adminstrate the machine.
> * Here's the problem: When I use the menus, any menu
> (Start button, drop down from app, etc.) as soon as I
> hover over a menu item that has a submenu the menus hang,
> explorer.exe consumes 100% of the CPU and the system no
> longer responds. It may hang for 10 secs, it may hang
> until I force a logoff with ctrl-alt-del, at which time I
> get End Task popups from Explorer.exe. It is so bad that
> the task manager cannot even track the CPU utilization
> while the desktop is hung.
>
> Here is what I have tried...
> 1) Reloaded W2K3 (cuz I thought it might be a bad patch).
> A fresh load of W2K3 has this problem right out of the box
> on this system.
> 2) Moved HDD to a different system with same HW (to
> eliminate the possiblility of a HW problem.
> 3) Reduced the settings for performance so that no bells
> and whistles are on for the desktop (no sliding, no
> fading, etc.)
> 4) Reverted to classic views on all folders (interestingly
> that helps the start menus to behave but not the
> application or context menus.)
> 5) Installed all hardware/software vendor-specific patches
> and upgrades available from 'The New HP'.
> 6) Contacted HP T/S for known errata and to verify support
> for this hardware platform running W2K3. It is supported
> and verified to be operational by HP T/S.
> 7) Applied all available MS Patches for W2K3.
> Searched Technet to no avail.
>
> Member servers running Windows 2000 Server do not have
> this problem.
>
> Member Workstations with WinXP do not have this problem
> (same interfaces and menus as W2K3).
>
> There are no applications running, nor any Antivirus
> Utilities loaded.
>

> Hardware specifics:
> Running on a Compaq ML370 server. BIOS updated to most
> current.
> No RAID or anything fancy with the architecture.
> Primary HDD is 18GB, split 8/10 to C and D. D is a logical
> drive in an extended partition.
> Mirrored 36GB HDDs as F
> All drives are 10K RPM U3 SCSI

Bob

Have you tried using safe mode with networking?

Also: does the problem only occur when logging onto the
domain as administrator, or any domain user?

And does 2003 honor the poledit policies from the NT dc's?

Barry

who is this cynical, ignorant prick?
just cos some people cheat the exams doesn't mean we all do.
and to the question:
I've never tried this configuration, but, don't forget that Windows
2000/2003 still applies local Group policy whilst joined to a domain
so it might be worth looking for clues in gpedit.msc.
seeing as windows 2000 member servers work fine concentrate on the new
options in 2003 disabling them one by one and checking again, try checking
the services that are running as well.
This is pure guess work but this is what i'd try and this surely must be due
to a feature in 2003 which is not compatible with your NT 4 domain settings,
could even be something to do with roaming profiles.

lastly, sounds obvious but, did you test the machine before you joint the
domain and have you looked at event viewer etc
bit long winded I know but hopefully I have suggested something you haven't
tried yet
"diamond geza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f9a0264$0$497$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]

> > 5) Installed all hardware/software vendor-specific patches
> > and upgrades available from 'The New HP'.
> > 6) Contacted HP T/S for known errata and to verify support
> > for this hardware platform running W2K3. It is supported
> > and verified to be operational by HP T/S.
> > 7) Applied all available MS Patches for W2K3.
> > Searched Technet to no avail.
> >
> > Member servers running Windows 2000 Server do not have
> > this problem.
> >
> > Member Workstations with WinXP do not have this problem
> > (same interfaces and menus as W2K3).
> >
> > There are no applications running, nor any Antivirus
> > Utilities loaded.
> >

> > Hardware specifics:
> > Running on a Compaq ML370 server. BIOS updated to most
> > current.
> > No RAID or anything fancy with the architecture.
> > Primary HDD is 18GB, split 8/10 to C and D. D is a logical

Adding W2K3 R2 x64 DC to Existing W2K3 R2 x32 domain =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBBbGxlcnRvbg==?= Windows 64bit 1 08-25-2006 02:25 PM
RDC XP at work to W2K3 at home (slow refresh time) =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dCBDYXJ0ZXI=?= Wireless Networking 0 12-16-2005 06:04 PM
¿MCSE w2k || MCSE w2k3? []v[]ad _[]eriko MCSE 6 04-11-2004 10:29 PM
W2K3 Upgrade Exams Thomas Betz MCSE 12 10-16-2003 10:43 AM
updating MCSA W2K to W2K3 Roman Cernovsky Microsoft Certification 6 07-31-2003 03:54 PM

Advertisments