Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This Before?

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This Before?

Lvubun

I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime. But I
just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to do with the
letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open a
notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where I saved
it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already on my computer
and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I hit enter to save it
the file just vanishes. If I install a program, any files or folders that
start with "Q" don't save to my computer, does anybody have a solution to
this?

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:00:57 GMT, Lvubun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime. But I
>just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to do with the
> letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
>letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open a
>notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where I saved
>it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already on my computer
>and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I hit enter to save it
>the file just vanishes. If I install a program, any files or folders that
>start with "Q" don't save to my computer, does anybody have a solution to
>this?

Lvubun, this is not good. It sounds like you may have the dreaded Q
Continuum Trojan horse. There is no need to attempt to run any type
of virus removal software or spyware software, it will do no good.

Many who have been affected by this particular Trojan horse have
reported seeing pop up messages saying things like: I have unlimited
control over space, matter and time. It is a particularly nasty
Trojan horse and there is apparently nothing that can be done for it,
a reformat will not even help.

As the Trojan horse matures and learns your habits, don't be surprised
to suddenly start seeing bitmaps and jpegs popping up on your monitor
with images of John de Lancie contained within them. The only fix for
this problem is to just forget about your computer, it is done with,
and perhaps watch some Star Trek.

Alt

SgtMinor

Lvubun wrote:
> I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime. But I
> just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to do with the
> letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
> letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open a
> notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where I saved
> it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already on my computer
> and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I hit enter to save it
> the file just vanishes. If I install a program, any files or folders that
> start with "Q" don't save to my computer, does anybody have a solution to
> this?

Symantec refers to this as "Trojan.Goldun.J" and states:

"Due to a bug in the way its driver works, the Trojan will hide
all the directories and files on the system starting with letter 'Q'."

Removal directions can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....goldun.j.html

Lvubun

SgtMinor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Lvubun wrote:
>> I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime.
>> But I just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to do
>> with the
>> letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
>> letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open
>> a notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where
>> I saved it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already
>> on my computer and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I
>> hit enter to save it the file just vanishes. If I install a program,
>> any files or folders that start with "Q" don't save to my computer,
>> does anybody have a solution to this?

> Symantec refers to this as "Trojan.Goldun.J" and states:
>
> "Due to a bug in the way its driver works, the Trojan will hide
> all the directories and files on the system starting with letter 'Q'."
>
> Removal directions can be found here:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....goldun.j.html

Thanks for the help, atleast I finally know what it could be. When I
follow the directions on that page about deleting it in the registry, none
of the keys are there. Nor are any of the files on my HD. I ran Ewido and
did find Haxdoor and got rid of it but i'm still having the same problem

SgtMinor

Lvubun wrote:

> SgtMinor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Lvubun wrote:
>>
>>>I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime.
>>>But I just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to do
>>>with the
>>> letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
>>>letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open
>>>a notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where
>>>I saved it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already
>>>on my computer and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I
>>>hit enter to save it the file just vanishes. If I install a program,
>>>any files or folders that start with "Q" don't save to my computer,
>>>does anybody have a solution to this?

>>Symantec refers to this as "Trojan.Goldun.J" and states:
>>
>>"Due to a bug in the way its driver works, the Trojan will hide
>>all the directories and files on the system starting with letter 'Q'."
>>
>>Removal directions can be found here:
>>
>>http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....goldun.j.html
>>

> Thanks for the help, atleast I finally know what it could be. When I
> follow the directions on that page about deleting it in the registry, none
> of the keys are there. Nor are any of the files on my HD. I ran Ewido and
> did find Haxdoor and got rid of it but i'm still having the same problem

If you'll google for "Goldun.J removal" you'll come up with a few
more solutions.

Good luck.

ellis_jay

Lvubun wrote:
> SgtMinor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Lvubun wrote:
>>> I posted a problem eariler that I thought was related to Quicktime.
>>> But I just realized it has nothing to do with Quicktime, it has to
>>> do with the
>>> letter "Q". If I download anything that starts with the
>>> letter "Q" it gives a message and won't save to computer. If I open
>>> a notepad and try to save it with a name starting with Q, I go where
>>> I saved it at and it isn't their. If I take a file that is already
>>> on my computer and rename it anything that starts with a "Q" when I
>>> hit enter to save it the file just vanishes. If I install a
>>> program, any files or folders that start with "Q" don't save to my
>>> computer, does anybody have a solution to this?

>> Symantec refers to this as "Trojan.Goldun.J" and states:
>>
>> "Due to a bug in the way its driver works, the Trojan will hide
>> all the directories and files on the system starting with letter
>> 'Q'."
>>
>> Removal directions can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....goldun.j.html
>>

> Thanks for the help, atleast I finally know what it could be. When I
> follow the directions on that page about deleting it in the registry,
> none of the keys are there. Nor are any of the files on my HD. I
> ran Ewido and did find Haxdoor and got rid of it but i'm still having
> the same problem

I did not read the links, and perhaps this was offered in them: turn off
"system restore" before fixing problem?

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay