Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can you use a wireless access point without a wired network?

Can you use a wireless access point without a wired network?

Sue Swaze

I keep reading stories about how much better infrastructure networks
are than point to point (better at keeping connections, easier to
configure etc). I don't have a broadband connection to share and
don't have a wired network to connect to, but can I get a wireless AP
anyway or will it only work if it is connected to a wired network
somewhere?

Thanks

Sue

David Hancock

Hi Sue

You should be able to get a wireless router to create your network. I run a D-Link unit at home and this
works quite well.

************************************************** ***************************
David Hancock
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.
************************************************** ****************************

Joe

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, Sue Swaze
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I keep reading stories about how much better infrastructure networks
>are than point to point (better at keeping connections, easier to
>configure etc). I don't have a broadband connection to share and
>don't have a wired network to connect to, but can I get a wireless AP
>anyway or will it only work if it is connected to a wired network
>somewhere?

No, it doesn't need anything wired. The drawback is that both the
networking and the wireless parameters have to be right for the network
to spring into life.

If you're confident of doing that, go ahead. If not, it's usually easier
to drag all the computers together, connect with cables temporarily, use
the XP Networking wizard to get the machines working together and then
go wireless.

Presumably one of your machines has an Internet connection to be shared,
and will therefore be the network master machine. Run the wizard on this
one, and at the end it will offer to make a floppy which can then be
used to set up the other machines to talk to it.

Most home wireless routers have a few Ethernet ports. If not, ignore it
and connect each other computer to the master in turn using a
*crossover* Ethernet cable, to get all the machines talking.

The wireless part may just work, or may need a little nudging. If so, at
least you're confident that basic networking is OK and it's only the
wireless bit you need to get working.
--
Joe

Jack

Hi

As a general rule at least one computer should be Wired, otherwise if the
Wireless does not work you would not be able to log and check or change the
settings.

Look at this page Option 1 and 3 might help you to find a solution:
http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...