Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > I need some advice!

I need some advice!

Adam

I'm two years out of high school and I've been working for
a loan company doing general IT stuff for the last year
and a half. I don't have any certifications yet but have
a lot of knowledge regarding networking and computers.--My
question is should I go to ITT Tech and take two years
getting their AA in networking, and then pursue
certifications? Or should I just put all my energy into
getting certifications?--

Also if i choose to focus on certifications how should I
go about this? I've called a couple of training places
and for like $2000 i can go to a week long cram session.
Since I'm financing this myself would it be too difficult
to just read the books and go through the exercises on my
own home computer that has 2003 server on it?

Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.

Adam

Kendal Emery

Hi Adam,

I don't know too much about ITT tech, so I can't say if it would be good or
not. What I have seen in the field is that companies generally rank
experience first, degrees second, and certs last, and the best idea is a
combination of the above. Since you have some expreience, I would probably
opt for getting certs. Of course, in todays market, nothing is cut and
dried anymore, and what may work here, won't work there.

Anyway, as far as certs go, I did all self study, but I had a lot of
experience, and a degree in physics with electronics option. I would
probably look at A+, Net+, then start the Microsoft stuff. And if
networking is your goal, I would definitely look at CCNA and maybe CCNP
also.

If I can help anymore, let me know.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01c401c39993$97acc3b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm two years out of high school and I've been working for
> a loan company doing general IT stuff for the last year
> and a half. I don't have any certifications yet but have
> a lot of knowledge regarding networking and computers.--My
> question is should I go to ITT Tech and take two years
> getting their AA in networking, and then pursue
> certifications? Or should I just put all my energy into
> getting certifications?--
>
> Also if i choose to focus on certifications how should I
> go about this? I've called a couple of training places
> and for like $2000 i can go to a week long cram session.
> Since I'm financing this myself would it be too difficult
> to just read the books and go through the exercises on my
> own home computer that has 2003 server on it?
>
> Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.
>
> Adam

Consultant

adam,

if you are gonna invest time and money in school, i would go for a cis or
mis degree, rather then just networking from a tech school. this will give
you broader choices in the future. while doing this, i would gain my certs
and keep gaining experience, like you have done so far. good luck.

--
Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
www.mcngp.tk

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01c401c39993$97acc3b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm two years out of high school and I've been working for
> a loan company doing general IT stuff for the last year
> and a half. I don't have any certifications yet but have
> a lot of knowledge regarding networking and computers.--My
> question is should I go to ITT Tech and take two years
> getting their AA in networking, and then pursue
> certifications? Or should I just put all my energy into
> getting certifications?--
>
> Also if i choose to focus on certifications how should I
> go about this? I've called a couple of training places
> and for like $2000 i can go to a week long cram session.
> Since I'm financing this myself would it be too difficult
> to just read the books and go through the exercises on my
> own home computer that has 2003 server on it?
>
> Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.
>
> Adam

Ken Briscoe

I can't say much about ITT Tech either, as all I know about them is the
commercials I see on TV...That said, the IT industry is relatively dry,
compared to a few years ago. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything that will
compromise your current job yet. (That is, don't go to school full time).
Experience seems to be the main criteria employers look for. You've got a
good start, landing a job right out of high school, so stick with it. More
time at one job is usually a good thing. A degree of any sort usually
carries more water than any particular cert. That said, no certification can
HURT your job prospects. So, in the end, I think my advice would be similar
to Kendal's. Study up for certs now, maybe begin with A+/Net+ (which are not
Micro-centric....they're "vendor neutral", as they call it), and then an MCP
exam or two. Maybe head on up to the MCSA level. Then, after you've had a
few years experience and some certs under your belt, then go for a degree.
It would make more sense (professionally) to do this after you've
established yourself in the field (some companies pay tuition), and can get
a job easier. Maybe I should follow my own advice and finish up that
degree...although a BS in Philosophy might amount to just that - BS.
Anyways, that's my story, I'm stickin to it. Good luck.

--

KB - MCNGP #26