Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Yahoo Instant Messenger question

Yahoo Instant Messenger question

vbMark

Hello,

I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone. Instant
messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.

Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?

I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am looking
for a better way.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Have you washed your elbows at http://www.vbmark.com

Toolman Tim

In news:Xns97EA8E25BFEE6vbmark@199.45.49.11,
vbMark spewed forth:
> Hello,
>
> I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone. Instant
> messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.
>
> Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?
>
> I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am
> looking for a better way.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Using MSN messenger we zip things and send the files. I've not been on Yahoo
IM for a few years so I don't know if it would support the same.

--
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order, just like it should be.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:10:15 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news:Xns97EA8E25BFEE6vbmark@199.45.49.11, vbMark spewed forth:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone. Instant
>> messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.
>>
>> Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?
>>
>> I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am
>> looking for a better way.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Using MSN messenger we zip things and send the files. I've not been on
> Yahoo IM for a few years so I don't know if it would support the same.

You can send any file via YIM

Rhonda Lea Kirk

vbMark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone. Instant
> messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.
>
> Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?
>
> I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am
> looking for a better way.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Not being a fan of emoticons generally, I have them disabled.

Messenger-->Preferences-->Messages--> Enable Emoticons.

Tick the box to blank it and wave bye-bye to smiley.

The person you're sending to will need to do the same.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Insisting on perfect safety is for people
without the balls to live in the real world.
Mary Shafer Iliff

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local,
Meat Plow spewed forth:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:10:15 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> In news:Xns97EA8E25BFEE6vbmark@199.45.49.11, vbMark spewed forth:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone.
>>> Instant messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?
>>>
>>> I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am
>>> looking for a better way.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Using MSN messenger we zip things and send the files. I've not been
>> on Yahoo IM for a few years so I don't know if it would support the
>> same.

> You can send any file via YIM

I would have expected that - thanks for the confirmation. It may provide the
OP a method of resolving his dilemma.

--
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order, just like it should be.

vbMark

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4g0dg6F1l7gotU1
@individual.net:

> vbMark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I sometimes need to pass programming or HTML code to someone. Instant
>> messenger want to change things into smilies/emoticons.
>>
>> Is there a way to send text in such a way as to prevent conversion?
>>
>> I know about adding spaces but sometimes I miss some of them so am
>> looking for a better way.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.

> Not being a fan of emoticons generally, I have them disabled.
>
> Messenger-->Preferences-->Messages--> Enable Emoticons.
>
> Tick the box to blank it and wave bye-bye to smiley.
>
> The person you're sending to will need to do the same.

Perfect. Thank you.

--
Have you washed your elbows at http://www.vbmark.com