Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to open files in Word, or Excel?

Unable to open files in Word, or Excel?

Gabriel Rapture

Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
has detected a problem with this file"

Every file I try to open says that. I can start with a blank page and
create a document, or spreadsheet saving that, but I can't open any
older ones.

You may be encountering this message because an anti-virus program is
not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
a comp ability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
the virus it has found.

In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
software manufacturers have created updates to address known
compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
forms of viruses.

If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
available from the vendor.

If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
cannot remove the infection.

There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
available with the application (not all applications have file
recovery or repair capabilities).

For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article 835404.

What give ici?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
|>message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
|>has detected a problem with this file"

Your using Agent, sort by user and read - Au79 <(E-Mail Removed) post
start from the latest.

--
Sigh...
when I send stuff by ship, it's called Cargo,

Ponder

Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
> message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
> has detected a problem with this file"

Out of curiosity, what anti-virus are you running?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Walter Mautner

Gabriel Rapture wrote:

> Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
> message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
> has detected a problem with this file"
>
> Every file I try to open says that. I can start with a blank page and
> create a document, or spreadsheet saving that, but I can't open any
> older ones.
>
> You may be encountering this message because an anti-virus program is
> not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
> conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
> a comp ability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
> the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
> the virus it has found.

[blah blah blah ...]

> What give ici?

First: which "on access" virus scanner in your systray?
2nd, can you disable it and retry?
3rd: more information please (and have a look at eventviewer too).

Gabriel Rapture

I'm using the latest version of "AVG" virus scanner.
Version 7.1 something or other

Right now I turned it off and removed it from the lower right hand
corner, but the files still won't open in Excel, or Word 2003?

Weird!

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:20:24 GMT, Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hiya Gabriel Rapture.
>
>In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:
>
>> Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
>> message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
>> has detected a problem with this file"

> Out of curiosity, what anti-virus are you running?

Ponder

Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> I'm using the latest version of "AVG" virus scanner.
> Version 7.1 something or other

I thought for a moment you were going to say Norton or Symantec

> Right now I turned it off and removed it from the lower right hand
> corner, but the files still won't open in Excel, or Word 2003?

Very weird. What's actually happening now, is it throwing up an error
message?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Ponder

Hiya Walter Mautner.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
> on mousepad.

I've always found an optical mouse works better without a mousepad anyway

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Gabriel Rapture

Yes, when I click on a recent file in Word, or Excel it give me this
message: "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
has detected a problem with this file"

And it refuses to allow me to have access to the file after that.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:55:56 GMT, Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hiya Gabriel Rapture.
>
>In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:
>
>> I'm using the latest version of "AVG" virus scanner.
>> Version 7.1 something or other

> I thought for a moment you were going to say Norton or Symantec
>
>> Right now I turned it off and removed it from the lower right hand
>> corner, but the files still won't open in Excel, or Word 2003?

> Very weird. What's actually happening now, is it throwing up an error
>message?

Ponder

Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> Yes, when I click on a recent file in Word, or Excel it give me this
> message: "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
> has detected a problem with this file"

Even with AVG stopped? Remember with AVG just removing the icon may not
stop the core engine running. A few thoughts to play with:

DO you have another anti-virus running?

What happens if you right-click an affected file and run a virus scan on
it via the context menu?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Blinky the Shark

<reading Subject header>

No, they're working fine. Thanks for asking, though.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups