Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How long should a PC repair shop hold on to old hardware ?

How long should a PC repair shop hold on to old hardware ?

Ed

I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
had thrown it out.
How long are they required hold on to old components ?

Ghostrider

Ed wrote:

> I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
> the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
> it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
> had thrown it out.
> How long are they required hold on to old components ?

If you had failed to ask for the part to be returned to you
when the servicing was completed and paid for, then you have
lost the part. There is no requirement for the part to be kept
for any length of time.

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
> the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
> it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
> had thrown it out.
> How long are they required hold on to old components ?

Specifically, they are not "Required" to do anything you didn't contract
for.

When they installed the new drive, did you ask that they migrate all
data to the new drive? If so, you don't need the old drive.

In general, all junk parts should be tossed every day.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
Ed spewed forth:
> I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to
> rereieve the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old
> data on it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they
> told me they had thrown it out.
> How long are they required hold on to old components ?

How long did it take you to get off the driveway? That's about it.

I have a personal policy that if an item is in working order, I'll hold on
to it for about two weeks before 1) re-using it elsewhere, 2) if it's
totally obsolete, dumping it. But don't expect to get a part back from me
either, working or not. Because part of my low-price service comes from
re-selling the used parts <g>

--
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order, just like it should be.

Jerry Attic

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
> the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
> it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
> had thrown it out.
> How long are they required hold on to old components ?

Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal data
on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from your drive.
So, you should be really ****ed off.

HTH

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jerry Attic wrote:
> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>

>>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
>>the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
>>it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
>>had thrown it out.
>>How long are they required hold on to old components ?
>>

> Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal data
> on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from your drive.
> So, you should be really ****ed off.

You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

Top

Rgr submitted this idea :
> Jerry Attic wrote:

>> Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any
>> personal data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could
>> retrieve it from your drive.
>> So, you should be really ****ed off.

> You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives
> until customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you
> ever come sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

Or a hard drive!

Top

Frosty

On or about 20 Jun 2006 16:25:22 -0700, an entity identified as "Ed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:

>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
>the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
>it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
>had thrown it out.
>How long are they required hold on to old components ?

I'm a jeweler.
I wish I could hold on to "old parts" like gold and diamonds.
I always give back the old parts I remove.
I wouldn't do business with *any* kind of company that didn't at least
offer.

--

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!

Jerry Attic

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Jerry Attic wrote:
>> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
>> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to
>>>rereieve the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old
>>>data on it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they
>>>told me they had thrown it out.
>>>How long are they required hold on to old components ?
>>>

>> Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal
>> data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from
>> your drive. So, you should be really ****ed off.

> You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
> customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
> sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

I read it too quickly. However, with identity theft rampant today, they
should've given it to him when he took the system home. If it was my shop
and he didn't want it, I would've smashed the drive with a hammer, then
tossed it. Case in point, I bought a bunch of used drives from a shop once
for a project of mine and you wouldn't believe the stuff I found on them.
There. Neener.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jerry Attic wrote:
> Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>

>>Jerry Attic wrote:
>>
>>>"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
>>>@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

>>>Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal
>>>data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from
>>>your drive. So, you should be really ****ed off.

>>You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
>>customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
>>sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

> I read it too quickly. However, with identity theft rampant today, they
> should've given it to him when he took the system home. If it was my shop
> and he didn't want it, I would've smashed the drive with a hammer, then
> tossed it. Case in point, I bought a bunch of used drives from a shop once
> for a project of mine and you wouldn't believe the stuff I found on them.
> There. Neener.

Err... I have a shop. Yes, I'd believe it. Name the flavor or porn, I've
seen it all. I've even had customers ask me to back up their porn
collection before formatting and reinstalling. Talk about kinky stuff.
I've never had anyone arrested, but some stuff was awfully close to
having the sheriff make the decision.