Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "helo=" in email headers

"helo=" in email headers

Steve Freides

I sent an email to a bad address (one I'm trying to get working but
isn't up yet due to a problem at the ISP).

I noticed, reading what came back, this:

That MyComputerName is the name I assigned my machine under Windows. I
have no need for that to be going out with my outgoing emails. Is there
any way to stop that?

TIA.

-S-

thanatoid

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I sent an email to a bad address (one I'm trying to get
> working but isn't up yet due to a problem at the ISP).
>
> I noticed, reading what came back, this:

> That MyComputerName is the name I assigned my machine under
> Windows. I have no need for that to be going out with my
> outgoing emails. Is there any way to stop that?
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

There is a HELO >and< an EHLO command which afaik are part of
the pop protocol, so there's nothing you can do and nothing to
be concerned about. It just looks like a hello and I've never
seen it in any headers. Maybe it only shows up in undeliverable
mail or maybe your server puts it in for some reason.

If someone could explain what these terms mean and why EHLO is
preferable and tried first, I would appreciate it. I've always
been curious.

Also, sometimes when I send a message over 1000 lines (or so) I
get an SMTP error and the recipient does not get ALL of the
message, it just cuts off. Has anyone heard of POP3 "not liking"
long messages or is it something in my mail program or server?
Attachments, big ones, go through fine.

Thanks.

Dan Evans

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> That MyComputerName is the name I assigned my machine under
>> Windows. I have no need for that to be going out with my
>> outgoing emails. Is there any way to stop that?

No, that's the receiving mail server getting your name. The HELO (or EHLO)
command is always given.

"helo $your_computer_name"
SMTP server resonds with its own banner
(any authentication, if needed)
"mail from: $your_name_and_email"
SMTP server responds as appropriate
"rcpt to: $recipient"
SMTP server responds as appropriate
"data"
SMTP server responds as appropriate
your message gets sent
"."
message is queued for delivery

> There is a HELO >and< an EHLO command which afaik are part of
> the pop protocol,

SMTP

Dan

beenthere

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I sent an email to a bad address (one I'm trying to get working but isn't
>up yet due to a problem at the ISP).
>
> I noticed, reading what came back, this:

> That MyComputerName is the name I assigned my machine under Windows. I
> have no need for that to be going out with my outgoing emails. Is there
> any way to stop that?
>
> TIA.

http://cr.yp.to/smtp/ehlo.html

why?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:39:40 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

>I sent an email to a bad address (one I'm trying to get working but
>isn't up yet due to a problem at the ISP).
>
>I noticed, reading what came back, this:

>That MyComputerName is the name I assigned my machine under Windows. I
>have no need for that to be going out with my outgoing emails. Is there

Shouldn't be an issue. It's partly the way things were setup in the RFC,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc821.txt see section 3.5,

" In the HELO command the host sending the command identifies
itself; the command may be interpreted as saying "Hello, I am
<domain>".
"

it's also nowdays an anti-spam measure.

For the good guys, HELO is usually the FQDN
(http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/F/FQDN.html)
bad guys spoof this or attempt something else like
using the domain name of the recipient (which should be rejected) or
HELO randomization
http://policyd.sourceforge.net/readme.html
i.e. the same IP calling itself different hosts, Recipient rate
limiting, Spamtrap monitoring / blacklisting.

>any way to stop that?

Don't know.

Me