Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > connecting pc to pc

connecting pc to pc

phil

i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
house.
If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my pc,
from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would be
great...... free if possible :0

both use xp home

please help

--
Phil

Gordon

"phil" <****inthepot.co.uk> wrote:

> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> house.
> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
> pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
> would be great...... free if possible :0
>
> both use xp home
>
> please help

You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
Network cable.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

Deano

"phil" <****inthepot.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> house.
> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my

pc,
> from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would

be
> great...... free if possible :0
>
> both use xp home
>
> please help
>

> --
> Phil

A free logmein account would work ok.

www.logmein.com

You can then just email the files across from your machine.

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon says...
> "phil" <****inthepot.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> > house.
> > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
> > pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
> > would be great...... free if possible :0
> >
> > both use xp home
> >
> > please help
> >

> You don't need any software, but you DO need some hardware - each machine
> must have a Network Interface card (NIC) and you will need a crossover
> Network cable.

and what if he lives 200 miles away?

That would be some network cable

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> house.
> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my pc,
> from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would be
> great...... free if possible :0
>
> both use xp home
>
> please help

easiest way would be to set up an FTP server on a non-standard port.
Otherwise something like PC Anywhere may be an idea but it depends on
what you may need.

I'd use an FTP server like Cerberus and lock it down with password-only
access, then make the directories the ones with your files in it.
http://www.cerberusftp.com/

phil

thanks guys

"Flying Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
>> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
>> house.
>> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
>> pc,
>> from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would
>> be
>> great...... free if possible :0
>>
>> both use xp home
>>
>> please help
>>

> easiest way would be to set up an FTP server on a non-standard port.
> Otherwise something like PC Anywhere may be an idea but it depends on
> what you may need.
>
> I'd use an FTP server like Cerberus and lock it down with password-only
> access, then make the directories the ones with your files in it.
> http://www.cerberusftp.com/

RLC Wallpapers

I have 3 PC's at home, using a 4 port router and using the same name for the
group, I can see all of them and move files between them all the time.

"phil" <****inthepot.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> house.
> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my
> pc, from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations
> would be great...... free if possible :0
>
> both use xp home
>
> please help
>

> --
> Phil

Dirk

phil wrote:
> i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> house.
> If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my pc,
> from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would be
> great...... free if possible :0
>
> both use xp home
>
> please help
>

> --
> Phil

You cannot network XP home machines

Deano

"Dirk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> phil wrote:
> > i'm going to a friends and i need to bring some files from my pc to his
> > house.
> > If i find i don't have all the files i need is it possible to access my

pc,
> > from his? what software do we need to do this? any recommendations would

be
> > great...... free if possible :0
> >
> > both use xp home
> >
> > please help
> >

> > --
> > Phil

> You cannot network XP home machines

Really? What are the technical reasons for that then?

David Matthew Wood

> You cannot network XP home machines

Shhh.... don't tell that to this WinXP Home laptop I'm working on, which
is currently networked and sharing files with a Win2k box and a Mac..

It doesn't seem to know that it can't do it.