Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > converting images in pdf to editable text in word

converting images in pdf to editable text in word

s@mailinator.com

I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
in pdf it is not possible.

I would appreciate any advice.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) spewed forth:
> I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
> in pdf it is not possible.
>
> I would appreciate any advice.

If you have OCR software, like Omnipage or similar, that can open PDF
documents, it can convert scanned images of text into real text. If not,
you're gonna have to retype it...

--
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order, just like it should be.

Whiskers

On 2006-06-20, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
> in pdf it is not possible.
>
> I would appreciate any advice.

Try this web search
<http://www.google.com/search?client=...sourceid=opera
&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?B24052E4D>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

beenthere

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
> in pdf it is not possible.
>
> I would appreciate any advice.

The scanned images would have to be printed out.
If they were good enough quality, they could then be
put through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software,
in a scanner, then sent to a word processor program.

Bucky

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:36:22 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-06-20, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
>> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
>> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
>> in pdf it is not possible.
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice.

>Try this web search
><http://www.google.com/search?client=...sourceid=opera
>&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?B24052E4D>.

Ot just type pdf to html into google

pcbutts1

That will not work. When the scanner scans it it first saves it in an image
format then converts it to PDF. Adobe see's this as an image that's been
converted so no matter how you tell it to convert it back it will still be
an image, i.e. an image inserted into word or an html page. OCR will still
not read it as text, at least Textbridge won't.

"beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r5Vlg.61784$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
>> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
>> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
>> in pdf it is not possible.
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice.
>>

> The scanned images would have to be printed out.
> If they were good enough quality, they could then be
> put through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software,
> in a scanner, then sent to a word processor program.

FML

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
> in pdf it is not possible.
>
> I would appreciate any advice.

http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2d.htm

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ,
pcbutts1 spewed forth:
> That will not work. When the scanner scans it it first saves it in an
> image format then converts it to PDF. Adobe see's this as an image
> that's been converted so no matter how you tell it to convert it back
> it will still be an image, i.e. an image inserted into word or an
> html page. OCR will still not read it as text, at least Textbridge
> won't.

The latest version of Omnipage reads/writes PDF, or so it says. I've not
tested it myself, I only read what I saw on a friend's computer. Maybe
someday I'll drop back by and see how it performs.

> "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:r5Vlg.61784$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
>>> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to
>>> word files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as
>>> images in pdf it is not possible.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any advice.
>>>

>> The scanned images would have to be printed out.
>> If they were good enough quality, they could then be
>> put through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software,
>> in a scanner, then sent to a word processor program.

--
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order, just like it should be.

beenthere

news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> That will not work. When the scanner scans it it first saves it in an
> image format then converts it to PDF. Adobe see's this as an image that's
> been converted so no matter how you tell it to convert it back it will
> still be an image, i.e. an image inserted into word or an html page. OCR
> will still not read it as text, at least Textbridge won't.
>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
>>> format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
>>> files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
>>> in pdf it is not possible.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any advice.
>>>

>> The scanned images would have to be printed out.
>> If they were good enough quality, they could then be
>> put through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software,
>> in a scanner, then sent to a word processor program.

My epson scanner, will scan a sheet of paper with Text on,
and If scanned in OCR will capture the text, and allow you to
send it to whatever program you want.
The image the OP has, is of a `piece of paper` with Text on.
I agree the program that produced it was PDF.
--
bw..OJ

Jan Ras

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I got some notes which are scanned as images and distributed in pdf
> > format. Is there a method to convert the images in pdf format to word
> > files. I would like to edit the notes but now when they are as images
> > in pdf it is not possible.
> >
> > I would appreciate any advice.
> >

> http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2d.htm

Hi,
I haven't ever tried it but could you not print the pages and re-scan them
using OCR, the scanner won't know the difference.
give it a try.
Jan