Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot network with WinXP

Cannot network with WinXP

pawihte@yahoo.com

With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.

The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
after boot-up before trying to browse the network).

I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win9.

Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
I have not tried.

I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.

I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
please ?

computer dude

I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
password.

Hope this helps!
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

pawihte@yahoo.com

computer dude wrote:
> I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
> is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
> password.
>
> Hope this helps!
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> > network to work.

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is with XP-XP.

Duane Arnold

> With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
> what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
> indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
>
> The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
> I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
> take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
> itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
> after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
>
> I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
> Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
> firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
> over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win9.
>
> Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
> have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
> them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
> does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
> problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
> I have not tried.
>
> I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
>
> I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
> please ?

You got a router involved here?

Duane

Malware Magnet

On 2006-06-19, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
> what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
> indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
>
> The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
> I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
> take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
> itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
> after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
>
> I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
> Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
> firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
> over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win9.
>
> Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
> have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
> them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
> does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
> problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
> I have not tried.
>
> I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
>
> I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
> please ?

Far be it from me to proclaim to know all... however, IPX/SPX is for Novell
Netware and could probably be removed. NetBEUI, another non-routable
protocol, would be handy if you had Win98 machines mixed in with your network.

However, for WinXP computers to see each other on a network, TCP/IP is all
that is required.

If you open Start > Control Panel > System, then click on the Computer Name
tab, is the name of the WORKGROUP the same on both/all computers? ...or are
you on a Domain?

Just guessing.
--
Life is short. How do you want to be remembered?

Duane Arnold

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> computer dude wrote:
>
>>I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
>>is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
>>password.
>>
>>Hope this helps!
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
>>
>>>With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
>>>either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
>>>hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
>>>with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
>>>life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
>>>network to work.

> Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is with XP-XP.

I had a guy I worked with that was using a router and was sharing
resources with XP pro machines. He never could make them network until
he used NWlink IPX/SPX. He was computer savvy too. You may not be able
to do it without IPX/SPX for whatever reason.

Duane

Dennis

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
> what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
> indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.

It could be one of a million things.. here's a few random things to
try:

Make sure on both computers you have three things (and these are the
-only- three you need) 'TCP/IP' , 'Client for Microsoft Networks' ,
'File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks'. Check those first.

Hit your START button, hit RUN then type in \\NAME (substitute name
for the proper name of the other PC [right click 'my computer' to check
a PC's name]). Thats just a quick way to show you all the 'shares' on
the other computer... Sometimes it works for me when the other comps
arent showing up in networking folder... (Make sure you have some
shares enabled by the way)

Drop to command line and try pinging the other computer. Hit START then
RUN then type in CMD for a command line. type IPCONFIG to check IP
address. Type PING 192.168.0.101 (or whatever the other computer's IP
address is)..... If you cant ping it then its a clue pointing towards
1) your router 2) your firewalls 3) TCP/IP not installed properly

Dennis

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
> what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
> indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.

It could be one of a million things.. here's a few random things to
try:

Make sure on both computers you have three things (and these are the
-only- three you need) 'TCP/IP' , 'Client for Microsoft Networks' ,
'File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks'. Check those first.

Hit your START button, hit RUN then type in \\NAME (substitute name
for the proper name of the other PC [right click 'my computer' to check
a PC's name]). Thats just a quick way to show you all the 'shares' on
the other computer... Sometimes it works for me when the other comps
arent showing up in networking folder... (Make sure you have some
shares enabled by the way)

Drop to command line and try pinging the other computer. Hit START then
RUN then type in CMD for a command line. type IPCONFIG to check IP
address. Type PING 192.168.0.101 (or whatever the other computer's IP
address is)..... If you cant ping it then its a clue pointing towards
1) your router 2) your firewalls 3) TCP/IP not installed properly

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
>either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
>hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
>with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
>life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
>network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
>what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
>indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
>
>The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
>I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
>take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
>itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
>after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
>
>I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
>Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
>firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
>over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win9.
>
>Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
>have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
>them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
>does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
>problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
>I have not tried.
>
>I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
>
>I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
>please ?

Windows XP is designed to work best with TCP/IP networking. Any other
protocol will basically be a kludge.

Uninstall NETBeui and/or IPX/SPX from all of the computers. Reboot as
required after the uninstalls.

On one of the Windows XP computers use Control Panel - Network Setup
Wizard and follow the prompts to configure that computer and to create
a wizard disk to use on the other computers. Run the wizard disk on
the other computers to configure them as well.

Note that you need to assign i.p. addresses only if you do not have a
router as part of the network, or if the router does not include a
DHCP server. If you are assigning i.p. addresses the addresses used
must be identical with regard to the first 3 segments and each
computer must be unique with regard to the fourth segment. The
network setup wizard will do this for you if you do not have a DHCP
server (e.g. router) on the network.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
> either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
> hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
> with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
> life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
> network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
> what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
> indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
>
> The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
> I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
> take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
> itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
> after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
>
> I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
> Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
> firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
> over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win9.

The "scientific" approach:
- first try pinging around (you know the ip addresses, don't you?)
If it fails in any direction, that may point to a firewall - maybe the
router by itself - or netmask (usually 255.255.255.0 for home networks) or
hardware.
- Next, if that works, try
telnet <IPofotherhosts> 445 (for XP) or 139 for netbios over tcpip,
from a commandline.
You should get a "connected to ..." title and no timeout.
Close the window afterwards.
If you can ping the host, but get timeout here, it is a
firewall/packetfilter, or the target has no "file and print sharing" set.
Next thing you may try is "nbtstat -A <IPofotherhost>".
Come back with the results.

You must have identical accounts _with_ password on all machines, identical
workgroup name set, and use that account on the machine you want to access
network shares with.
The other machines just need to be turned on, no matter if/who is currently
logged on.