Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Core Pentium needs Windows XP Pro?

Dual Core Pentium needs Windows XP Pro?

Sigi Rindler

I was told that the Intel Dual Core Pentium D (820) processor requires
Windows XP Pro. Is this true? A pamphlet from Dell Computers offers all
Pentium D models with Window XP Home Edition. The person who told me that is
usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is doing
that to make the price look better...

Murgi

Meat Plow

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:33:22 +0900, Sigi Rindler wrote:

> I was told that the Intel Dual Core Pentium D (820) processor requires
> Windows XP Pro. Is this true? A pamphlet from Dell Computers offers all
> Pentium D models with Window XP Home Edition. The person who told me that
> is usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is
> doing that to make the price look better...

Doesn't need Pro to work but Pro might or might not take advantage of an
820 where Home would not.

Sigi Rindler

> Doesn't need Pro to work but Pro might or might not take advantage of an
> 820 where Home would not.

Thanks for telling this one. I'd better approach Microsoft and/or Intel to
find out for sure. If your assumption is true, it's not really fair that
Dell doesn't mention that. Customers would have to get am upgrade to XP
Pro... which will cost more than XP Pro in the first place.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Sigi Rindler" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was told that the Intel Dual Core Pentium D (820) processor requires
> Windows XP Pro. Is this true? A pamphlet from Dell Computers offers all
> Pentium D models with Window XP Home Edition. The person who told me that

is
> usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is

doing
> that to make the price look better...

Actually, no - SP2 on XP Home will let the dual cores operate as one
processor, dual cored.

Although, XP Pro or one of the Linux distros would be a better
choice if you're running a dualie, IMO.

RwP