Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backing up harddrive advice please?

Backing up harddrive advice please?

Caroline

Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
case....!
I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and a
broadband connection.
My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
would it be any faster?
McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
greatly appreciated. thanks.

beenthere

"Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NKblg.452348$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
> case....!
> I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
> broadband connection.
> My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
> would it be any faster?
> McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
> whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
> greatly appreciated. thanks.

You don`t say what program you are going to use to backup.
Your best bet is to do an Image of each drive to your External.
Disconnect from the Internet while you backup.
That way you`ll get no interference.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:33:49 +0000, Caroline wrote:

> Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
> case....!
> I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
> a broadband connection.
> My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
> would it be any faster?
> McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
> whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
> greatly appreciated. thanks.

take the drives out of the PC and transport them seperately preferably
with you

Barry OGrady

What sort of hard drive advice do you wish to back up?

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

richard

"Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NKblg.452348$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
> case....!
> I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
> broadband connection.
> My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
> would it be any faster?
> McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
> whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
> greatly appreciated. thanks.

Be careful with that puppy. I learned my lesson real quick. Accidentally
kicked one onto the floor and it refused to work.
To hopefully cure that problem, I bought another drive, but as an internal
and a USB external box for it.
So far, I've had no problems with it. I figure it's in the way they are
built.

You probably won't find any difference using safe mode. What you want to use
is a "disk copy" program rather than a burner. Haven't used a disk copy yet
so I don't know what to say on difference in time would be.

richard

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:33:49 +0000, Caroline wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
>> case....!
>> I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
>> a broadband connection.
>> My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode?
>> ie,
>> would it be any faster?
>> McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
>> whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
>> greatly appreciated. thanks.

> take the drives out of the PC and transport them seperately preferably
> with you

Some!

Kloo>>>>Serbian.