Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Program to ERASE EVERY THING on hard drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Program to ERASE EVERY THING on hard drive

 
 
Shirley Azvedo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2006
Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2006
Shirley Azvedo wrote:
> Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the
> hard drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this.
> Thanks


http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phantom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2006
I would suggest removing the hard drive(s) from the computer and trashing
them with a hammer.
"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3hykg.196688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
> drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2006

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3hykg.196688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
> drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks
>
>


http://dban.sourceforge.net/


 
Reply With Quote
 
me@privacy.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2006
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:23:11 GMT, "Shirley Azvedo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
>drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks
>

Lump hammer
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2006
Shirley Azvedo wrote:
>
> Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
> drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks


Search google for zero fill utilities.


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2006
Howdy!

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3hykg.196688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
> drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks


How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
"KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
"Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.

If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
anything nor identifiable as anything.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2006
Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>
> > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
> > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

>
> How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
> "KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
> "Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.
>
> If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
> Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
> anything nor identifiable as anything.


I have a real paranoid client who does major XXX stuff on USEnet.
Interestingly, she is 75 years old, wallpapers her computer room with
aluminum foil, and searches my bag when I arrive and leave to make sure
I didn't accidentally take any "paper notes" with me.

I dont mind at all as her checks are always good and she alwyays buys
her new pcs from me. In regards to
"high enough", for her old hard disks, she takes them apart and sands
the platters. After that, she burries them in the dirt outside in the
backyard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frosty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2006
On or about 17 Jun 2006 17:59:01 -0500, an entity identified as Plato
<|@|.|> proudly proclaimed:

>Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>>
>> > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
>> > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

>>
>> How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
>> "KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
>> "Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.
>>
>> If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
>> Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
>> anything nor identifiable as anything.

>
>I have a real paranoid client who does major XXX stuff on USEnet.
>Interestingly, she is 75 years old, wallpapers her computer room with
>aluminum foil, and searches my bag when I arrive and leave to make sure
>I didn't accidentally take any "paper notes" with me.
>
>I dont mind at all as her checks are always good and she alwyays buys
>her new pcs from me. In regards to
>"high enough", for her old hard disks, she takes them apart and sands
>the platters. After that, she burries them in the dirt outside in the
>backyard.
>

I tried putting one into a fire once...ended up with a pretty little
pool of metal.
--

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2006
Frosty wrote:
>
> I tried putting one into a fire once...ended up with a pretty little
> pool of metal.


Must have been a hot fire.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: DoD hard drive erase that will boot from CD Gerard Bok A+ Certification 0 05-14-2008 03:40 PM
erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM



Advertisments