Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Inaccessible Boot Device: Dual boot 2K/XP - Safe way to fix?

Inaccessible Boot Device: Dual boot 2K/XP - Safe way to fix?

me

I have a Duel boot system

Windows 200o Pro on C:
Windows XP Pro on D:

This is a 60 gig drive with XP on a 3gig partition both NTFS.

I'm getting a "Inaccessible Boot Device" error when I try to start
Windows 2000 (C XP Starts fine.

I've tried a CHKDSK /F on C: but does not fix anything

I'm assuming I have to do a repair to the MBR
using the Repair console but have seen posts that
there is a risk of doing damage on a duel boot system

Anyone have a link to instructions on how to go about
this.

Saving the Win2K partition and files is all I'm worried
about. if I have to nuke XP that fine but would be nice
to save both.

Thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I have a Duel boot system
|>
|>Windows 200o Pro on C:
|>Windows XP Pro on D:
|>
|>This is a 60 gig drive with XP on a 3gig partition both NTFS.
|>
|>I'm getting a "Inaccessible Boot Device" error when I try to start
|>Windows 2000 (C XP Starts fine.
|>
|>I've tried a CHKDSK /F on C: but does not fix anything
|>

|>I'm assuming I have to do a repair to the MBR
|>using the Repair console but have seen posts that
|>there is a risk of doing damage on a duel boot system
|>

|>Anyone have a link to instructions on how to go about
|>this.

Boot up with you XP cd get into the recovery window and type FIXBOOT
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

If that doesn't work do the same thing, but use the command FIXMBR

You can only run FIXMBR/FiXBOOT in the recovery window and it has to
be an XP cd, not a Win2000.

--
Freddie Mercury RIP
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_T01w2ahe3c