Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > This copy of Windows is not Genuine

This copy of Windows is not Genuine

Big Ron

A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared after a
trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were enabled, I've
since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of prosecution, or can it
safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She uses the comp on the web
a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).

TIA

Ron

Paul - xxx

Big Ron came up with the following;:
> A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
> friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared
> after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were
> enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of
> prosecution,

Potentially.

Realistically the chances of MS taking a single user to court for a single
illegal use of their software is remote, unles someone 'points the finger'
and suggests there may be more to it than one copy and also points to the
'mate at work'.

> or can it safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She
> uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at
> work." (Win XP).

I'd suggest that the price of XP, [1] considered as an integral part of the
price of a computer, is minimal and well worth the expense, especially for
the less computer literate.

[1] Notwithstanding all the other 'free' OS's available out there somewhere

Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

George

Big Ron wrote:
> A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up
> on a friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It
> appeared after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic
> updates were enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in
> terms of prosecution, or can it safely be ignored , or better still
> disabled. She uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded
> by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
>
> TIA
>
> Ron

She has a corrupted file in the system32 folder(I think). It has something
to do with updates and when the automatic updates can't communicate that
window pops up. It is annoying. I ended up with a format and fresh
install. If you find out which file is corrupted, you can copy from the
I386 folder on the xp disk (I think.)

Dan Evans

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Big Ron wrote:
>> A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up
>> on a friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It
>> appeared after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic
>> updates were enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in
>> terms of prosecution, or can it safely be ignored , or better still
>> disabled. She uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded
>> by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ron

> She has a corrupted file in the system32 folder(I think).

You think wrong. You'd best hope the Kadiatcha man doesn't see your post.

Dan

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
|>friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared after a
|>trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were enabled, I've
|>since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of prosecution, or can it
|>safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She uses the comp on the web
|>a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).

Google: disable WGA

and then disable Auto Updates or choose to select the updates you
want.

Start | Run <type in> wuaucpl.cpl <enter>
And don't download the WGA again

--
http://jesuspan.com/

Ron Martell

"Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
>friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared after a
>trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were enabled, I've
>since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of prosecution, or can it
>safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She uses the comp on the web
>a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
>
>TIA
>
>Ron

an issue with WGA incorrectly identifying some copies of Windows as
suspect. The latest version of WGA has fixed this and a number of
people (not all of them by any means as some of the WGA hits are
correct) have found that their Windows is now accepted as genuine.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

mike

Well, besides the glitches and someone fumbling the c:\Windows folder,
your friend might also have been ripped off by the people he bought the
computer or SW from.

Do the updates (get the new tool)

If it persists
If your friend bought that computer with operating system somewhere
call the 800 #

I did not yet hear that M$$$$ goes against a person calling the 800# with
WTF....
But I did hear that M$$$$$ goes really strong against idiots who think
they can sell bootlegged stuff.

Your friend will get his money back, and M$$$ usually does nothing but
flag that and tell you to replace it.

If your friend, however, ripped it off somewhere: well, just right. Why
steal THAT!

Mike