Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Group Policy Objects

Group Policy Objects

This is not a trick question - just a matter of curiosity.

Which would be quickest:

A single group policy which contained policies for folder
redirection, assignment of couple applications, & account
policies

OR

3 single policies, e.g. 1 for folder redirection, 1 for
software assignment and one for account policies.

The latter approach would seem best in terms of management
of GPO's, however, in a real world environment, would the
former arrangement be quicker to process at logon?

I am assuming that in both GPO's, that all other options
within the GPO are configured as "not configured".

Has anyone done any experimenting on a real live network
regarding the above and the effect it has on the time
taken to process the policy(ies)

Laura A. Robinson

circa Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:23:50 -0700, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> This is not a trick question - just a matter of curiosity.
>
> Which would be quickest:
>
> A single group policy which contained policies for folder
> redirection, assignment of couple applications, & account
> policies
>
> OR
>
> 3 single policies, e.g. 1 for folder redirection, 1 for
> software assignment and one for account policies.

It depends on several things. If the single policies had been
significantly reduced in size via a little trick I use, then the
latter would be better across the board.

> The latter approach would seem best in terms of management
> of GPO's, however, in a real world environment, would the
> former arrangement be quicker to process at logon?

Generally, yes, but a lot will depend on what you're doing with the
policies, and the reality is, with what you've mentioned, it's going
to take longer to carry out the policies than to parse them.

> I am assuming that in both GPO's, that all other options
> within the GPO are configured as "not configured".

Irrelevant in terms of parsing unless you've reduced template size.

> Has anyone done any experimenting on a real live network
> regarding the above and the effect it has on the time
> taken to process the policy(ies)

Yes. Answer: it depends.

Laura

--
Outside of a dog, a book is your best friend, and inside a dog, it's
too dark to read.

Jtyc

> Laura

Like a beautiful dream she drifts back into our presence.

Rejoice!

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

Jtyc wrote:
>> Laura

> Like a beautiful dream she drifts back into our presence.

Her eyes are like lipid pools of silicon.

--
Fris "She is NOT an ANIMATRON!" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Keyboard Cowboy

I was at Universal Studios about 1 1/2 weeks ago... Saw
Laura.1 on display. The modifications made quite a
difference... Hey, I was in your neck of the woods Fris!!!

Laura

Thanks for your reply. Care to expand a little on your
trick you mention with the GPO?

Thanks again

(E-Mail Removed)