Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FDisk

FDisk

hiredgun56@gmail.com

I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.

Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.

Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.

I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
available.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jeffrey Lebowski

I fought w/ this same problem on fdisk a couple months ago.

I finally figured out that i had the jumper on the drive set to maximum of
32G, though mine was a 120G.
I had it set like that cuase i didnt want all the space before and i had
forgoten. Once i moved the jumper i
could then allocated my drive as i wanted.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

hiredgun56@gmail.com

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:
> I fought w/ this same problem on fdisk a couple months ago.
>
> I finally figured out that i had the jumper on the drive set to maximum of
> 32G, though mine was a 120G.
> I had it set like that cuase i didnt want all the space before and i had
> forgoten. Once i moved the jumper i
> could then allocated my drive as i wanted.

Appreciate the input Jeff, but as I stated, the last time I had to
reformat and install....FDisk worked fine. So I know its not the jumper
setting.

Looks like partition magic is on the horizon....I guess this way, when
i need to reinstall in the future, I'll at least have it to use.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
> > FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
> > the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
> >
> > Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
> > the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
> >
> > Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
> > about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
> > on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
> >
> > I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
> > available.
> >
> > Anyone else have any ideas?

Dave

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
| I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
| FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
| the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
|
| Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
| the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
|
| Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
| about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
| on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
|
| I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
| available.
|
| Anyone else have any ideas?

Go to their Website. Thee is program you can DL to format that drive for
you... and I beleive it's Interactive, so you can do it straight from their
site.

Justisaur

> I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
> FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
> the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
>
> Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
> the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
>
> Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
> about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
> on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
>
> I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
> available.
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?

Try using disk management, you should be able to set up the additional
partitions there. (right click "my computer" - manage - storage - disk
management.)

- Justisaur

John Holmes

Dave "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!! You stupid ****.

--
Your mother was a bearded cleaner who copulated with anyone and anything
in a cave deep in the Rocky Mountains.

doS

use windows....next.......

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
> FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
> the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
>
> Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
> the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
>
> Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
> about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
> on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
>
> I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
> available.
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?

Spuds

On 13 Jun 2006 13:50:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
>FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
>the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
>
>Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
>the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
>
>Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
>about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
>on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
>
>I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
>available.
>
>Anyone else have any ideas?

Use the utility your drive manufacturer provides on their website. They all
have 'em.
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day;

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
(E-Mail Removed) spewed forth:
> I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
> FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to
> partition the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to
> Seagate.
>
> Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
> the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
>
> Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
> about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk
> again on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
>
> I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I
> see available.
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?

FDISK is leftover from DOS and W9X versions. It is NOT used with XP. You
need to partition and format using the XP tools - either do it during setup,
or use Disk Management after Windows is installed.

FDISK uses FAT16 or FAT32 (in your case, FAT32) and it is NOT as good a
system as XP's NTFS file system. If it were me, I'd erase the hard drive and
start over, using the correct partitioning procedures and formats.

--
I always finish what I sta

The Addison's

news:etHjg.864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
> (E-Mail Removed) spewed forth:
>> I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
>> FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to
>> partition the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to
>> Seagate.
>>
>> Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
>> the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
>>
>> Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
>> about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk
>> again on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
>>
>> I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I
>> see available.
>>
>> Anyone else have any ideas?

> FDISK is leftover from DOS and W9X versions. It is NOT used with XP. You
> need to partition and format using the XP tools - either do it during
> setup, or use Disk Management after Windows is installed.
>
> FDISK uses FAT16 or FAT32 (in your case, FAT32) and it is NOT as good a
> system as XP's NTFS file system. If it were me, I'd erase the hard drive
> and start over, using the correct partitioning procedures and formats.
>
> --
> I always finish what I sta

I'd use disk management to reformat the drive. It will allow you to
format/partition the entire drive.