Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to quickly enter alt-characters on thinkpad laptop

how to quickly enter alt-characters on thinkpad laptop

glenn

We finally figured out how to enter special characters (like Alt+0224 for
accented "a" (Spanish a)) on our Thinkpad T30. You first do a
Shift+NumLk/ScrLk key to make the middle-right keys do numbers instead of
letters. Then we do Alt+0224 (for example, for a accented "a"). Then to go
on normally we have to do another Shift+NumLk/ScrLk to get back to our
regular typing.

GAD!! That's rediculous. Isn't there a faster way to enter these Alt-coded
characters??

Thanks in advance for any help...
-g

Dan Evans

"glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsksjg.114383$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> We finally figured out how to enter special characters (like Alt+0224 for
> accented "a" (Spanish a)) on our Thinkpad T30. You first do a
> Shift+NumLk/ScrLk key to make the middle-right keys do numbers instead of
> letters. Then we do Alt+0224 (for example, for a accented "a"). Then to go
> on normally we have to do another Shift+NumLk/ScrLk to get back to our
> regular typing.
>
> GAD!! That's rediculous. Isn't there a faster way to enter these Alt-coded
> characters??

Yes.

Dan

Mike

In message <oksjg.114383$(E-Mail Removed) >,
glenn took 14 lines to impart the following:

>We finally figured out how to enter special characters (like Alt+0224 for
>accented "a" (Spanish a)) on our Thinkpad T30. You first do a
>Shift+NumLk/ScrLk key to make the middle-right keys do numbers instead of
>letters. Then we do Alt+0224 (for example, for a accented "a"). Then to go
>on normally we have to do another Shift+NumLk/ScrLk to get back to our
>regular typing.
>
>GAD!! That's rediculous. Isn't there a faster way to enter these Alt-coded
>characters??
>
>Thanks in advance for any help...
>-g

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map
--
I could finally make ends meet, but then somebody moved the ends.

Keme

glenn wrote:
> We finally figured out how to enter special characters (like Alt+0224 for
> accented "a" (Spanish a)) on our Thinkpad T30. You first do a
> Shift+NumLk/ScrLk key to make the middle-right keys do numbers instead of
> letters. Then we do Alt+0224 (for example, for a accented "a"). Then to go
> on normally we have to do another Shift+NumLk/ScrLk to get back to our
> regular typing.
>
> GAD!! That's rediculous. Isn't there a faster way to enter these Alt-coded
> characters??
>
> Thanks in advance for any help...
> -g

Hold down alt+fn (instead of just alt) then use the blue numbers as usual.

Keme

Keme wrote:
[...]
> Hold down alt+fn (instead of just alt) then use the blue numbers as usual.

But if you just want accented characters, the diacriticals are mostly
available on "dead keys" on your keyboard. E.g.: Hit the tilde (~) key
first, then the a, and you should get a-tilde ().

Lethal

I type a lot in French, therefore I use many accented letters, all I did is
go to"Regional and language" and change my keyboard to "United States
International" and I have all the accents by typing the accent first, then
the letter E.g:.. .this is the easy way to do it.

"Keme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:448edb14$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keme wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Hold down alt+fn (instead of just alt) then use the blue numbers as
>> usual.

> But if you just want accented characters, the diacriticals are mostly
> available on "dead keys" on your keyboard. E.g.: Hit the tilde (~) key
> first, then the a, and you should get a-tilde ().

glenn

You da man, Lethal!! Best advice I got. Thanks a million.
-g

"Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
>I type a lot in French, therefore I use many accented letters, all I did is
>go to"Regional and language" and change my keyboard to "United States
>International" and I have all the accents by typing the accent first, then
>the letter E.g:.. .this is the easy way to do it.
>
> "Keme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:448edb14$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Keme wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hold down alt+fn (instead of just alt) then use the blue numbers as
>>> usual.

>> But if you just want accented characters, the diacriticals are mostly
>> available on "dead keys" on your keyboard. E.g.: Hit the tilde (~) key
>> first, then the a, and you should get a-tilde ().

Lethal

You're very welcome!!! but I am a woman!!!!

news:bGakg.50543$(E-Mail Removed). com...